Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2018, 12:20:36 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Fixing leaky rivets  (Read 2236 times)
LLF Fishing Legend

Friend has a boat with rivets.  It's been leaking, so we filled it full of water ot find the leaks.  Found a few and am wondering the best way to fix these.

It's obviously been fixed before.  Looks like three types of fixes were used.  One of these fixes worked better than the others.  The others looked like eboxy and some other variation.  The one that seems to have worked the best looks almost like "bondo" used on cars.  Very solid and really adheres the metal good.  Any ideas what this might be?

-------------------------
You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

jb weld!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

tex@northtexasguideservice.com

When I had an aluminum boat and found rivets to be leaking, I would get a friend to hold a heavy piece of metal on one side while I hit the rivet on the other side.  This usually would fix the leaks unless there were cracks beside them.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

using a steel wire brush scuff around the rivets, using fiberglass cloth cut into squares larger than the rivets, spread epoxy over the rivets then place the squares over the rivets.  let this dry, and the rivets will no longer leak.  approximate cost  10-15 dollars.  this works very well the last one i did this way in '93 still does not leak.  just a suggestion.

"all bite , no catch"
Top Bottom  
Minnow

This is a website I found that addresses a lot of repairs for aluminum boats. It's a forum for these types of problems.

http://pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/repair.html

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: