Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2018, 12:20:29 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
What can your boat handle?  (Read 5696 times)
LLF Fishing Legend

I am stealing this though from Big Brad's response to the Forecast thread.

Even though I have caught jack for fish this year living close to the lake got me excited.  I have a little kid and am not married so I went ahead and bought a small boat.  I am not a strong swimmer and was trained from childhood to wear a life jacket on the water so that is a done deal for me, the boy and anyone who might be in my boat.  I haven't had it out yet and am planning to wait until warm weather to do so.

Since Lavon is a pretty big lake and my kid is small I got a twentry year old Starcraft V bottom aluminum.  The usual 14' 6" size with a 15hp tiller steering.  The hull is under 250lbs and my kid and I combined are well under 250lbs as well.  What should my perameters be with regard to wind speed, temp, etc.?  I am not a risk taker by nature and certainly not with the boy.

Throw up your own rigs and what you consider reasonable if you want to as well.  I would find that interesting and helpful.

-------------------------
Fiberglass, aluminum, pontoons...whatever floats your boat.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

sounds like keithc has got a set up just like yours , minus the little one . maybe he can fill ya in on how it handles ........ icon_idea

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

fishin1 is right ...... sounds like the setup I have.  14 ft V hull with 15 HP Merc ..... I've been surprised how well V hull handles.  I've been all over the lake and never had a problem.

Just be aware of wind/weather conditions at all times.   I dont go out if its going to be more than 15 mph wind conditions.  Other than that your 14 ft tiller should do very well.

Guess I'll go fishing just for the halibut  :-o
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

If I heard correctly, someone drowned on lewisville this weekend because they jumped out of their boat to get a hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks the water is COLD!  I think we take being on the lake this time of year too lightly.  Never fish alone and don't get in the water.  That does include being safe with what a boat will handle, but accidents happen.  Even the best boat can have issues.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I heard it was the owner of the boat that jump in for his hat........ he was in trouble so the 2nd guy jump in to help..... but he was in trouble too.  The 3rd guy was able to pull the 2nd guy to safety.  They suspect ALCOHOL play a major role in this.  All three are not good swimmer either.

Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect.
It just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Well Cheapersleeper several things come into play when ya try to determine whut yer boat can handle. Always need to err on the conservative side.

I used to have a 14' Lonestar commander with 15 hp engine. The 14' boats are too short to reach wave to wave. Takes at least a 16' boat to do that. So a 14' rig will begin to plow into the next wave rather than riding over it. Also most 14' rigs are narrow which hinders stability and makes it easier for a rogue wave to capsize the boat.

The bigger problem this time of year is not a boat capsizing as boat flotation and life preservers can keep you from drowning. The killer problem is the water temperature. In 55 degree water you might last a couple of hours in the water before hypothermia would render you unconscious and you would either drown or go into heart failure.

Small boats are great and provide a lot of enjoyment but they have there place. In an open lake I would limit to winds no more than 10mph and certainly 15 mph absolute maximum unless you could launch and fish in an area protected from the impact of the wind.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

It is very important to never go alone,  Always make sure someone knows where you are going, and I even check in every 30- 45 minutes with my wife this time of year.   Generally if I think the wind is to much I don't take any risk.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Excellent advice guys.  Pretty much what I was thinking.  I am on the conservative side.  Unfortunately, I will most definately be out by myself and out with just my little kid.  Guess I will have to find myself some people to tell when I go out.

For certain though, I am a warm weather boater.  I have no urge for hypothermia.

Interesting about the length of the boat vs. waves.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Quote from: "cheapersleeper"
Excellent advice guys.  Pretty much what I was thinking.  I am on the conservative side.  Unfortunately, I will most definately be out by myself and out with just my little kid.  Guess I will have to find myself some people to tell when I go out.

For certain though, I am a warm weather boater.  I have no urge for hypothermia.

Interesting about the length of the boat vs. waves.
the P man knows

Mark Alexander
North Texas Trophy Cats
2008 Central Texas Catfish Classic Champions
"If your hands aren't slimey,then your having a bad day!"
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

It was no fun even for 17' Bass Tracker at Ray Robert Lake tournament this year.  John and I was lucky to get off that lake in one piece.... one ruff and wet ride..... Sad

Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect.
It just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: "Bruce"
It was no fun even for 17' Bass Tracker at Ray Robert Lake tournament this year.  John and I was lucky to get off that lake in one piece.... one ruff and wet ride..... Sad

I think I would say that no boat was technically safe that day, but  a low riding Tracker was definately worse than others.  Ed and I were good in the Deep V, but if the engine quit or anything like that, we could have been toast.  I think we were last to come back in and the boat would fall into the trough between 2 waves and you couldn't see anything but water...  Freaky!  Felt good to get back to the ramp that day...

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

CS, one more important thing. You need to teach that son how to run that motor & start it. You can never be sure about what type of accidents can happen.

When we had that commander I was gettin out of the boat and severely sprained my ankle, thought it was broken. I had a hard time gettin into the boat and could not get to the back of the boat (tiller steering). Wife was freaking out & Brent was 4 years old. Told the better half not to worry as Brad would get us back to the ramp. That boy went to the back, pulled the starter rope and that little engine just purred ( engine was still warm). My eight year old got us safely back to the ramp! Whew, that was 24 years ago.

Make sure your teach your son how to operate that boat as you never know when it will come in handy!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Wow, has it been that long.  Pb you're right about Ray Bob last year.  Thats the biggest waves I've ever seen on a lake.  Felt like I was offshore fishin again.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Quote from: "DavidP"
CS, one more important thing. You need to teach that son how to run that motor & start it. You can never be sure about what type of accidents can happen.

When we had that commander I was gettin out of the boat and severely sprained my ankle, thought it was broken. I had a hard time gettin into the boat and could not get to the back of the boat (tiller steering). Wife was freaking out & Brent was 4 years old. Told the better half not to worry as Brad would get us back to the ramp. That boy went to the back, pulled the starter rope and that little engine just purred ( engine was still warm). My eight year old got us safely back to the ramp! Whew, that was 24 years ago.

Make sure your teach your son how to operate that boat as you never know when it will come in handy!

What?  That is awsome.  My kid is a sturdy five year old and I intended to teach him to steer but I never thought he about him being able to do all that.  Amazing.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: