Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2018, 10:51:50 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
water temp  (Read 5811 times)
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

its gonna start dropping fast and remember those warm days that the water can stil get you if its cold enough..........just be smart watch the weather and know your boat.

i just bought a pair of sospenders for the winter. a life jacket of any kind helps as another layer for warmth and helps keep you up if you go over (duh right). my point is w/ several layers on you get heavier and mobility is less.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Just to add to what Brent said, the water is getting colder.  I was out thursday in that mess and the spray hitting me in the face from hitting the waves was cold enough to numb my face.  It wouldn't take long for something bad to happen if you fell in, especially if your out by yourself like I was.  It can even happen if your fishing with a partner, I know that first hand after falling in the water in febuary 2yrs ago at night.  Probably the scariest thing I've ever felt in my life.   My vest was on all day yesterday,  better safe then sorry.  You never know when it could happen, and not expect it.  Be careful out their guys, and like brent said, know what your boat can handle.

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I know this may sound kind of silly, but I will put it out there anyway.  When you get in your boat.  Put your cell phone in a water tight plastic container or ziplock bag.  With your phone on vibrate in a Plastic tub, you will still hear it ring for those important fish updates from your buddies.  The purpose here (especially if fishing alone), if you do happen to fall in, once you get back to the boat, you will have the ability to call someone for help, if needed.  If you have room a spare set of clothes in a vaccum sealed bag would be a great addition as well.  You have to get the wet clothes off as soon as possible.  Great topic Brent.

MikeB

Lake Grapevine Small Mouth Buffalo Lake Record Holder - 4/10/2010

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Great idea on the phone,  I learned that after I fell in with my cell phone in my pocket.  Now my phone is always in the dash compartment of the boat.  Extra clothes good idea also.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I got an iPhone. Ziplocked, hermetically sealed in a watertight mayonaise jar! I'd never hear the end of it if I ever dropped that phone in the lake!

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Is there a website that anyone knows of that you can tract the actual wind speeds from previous days?  I was out Wednesday night and as we were getting done around 1:00am the wind was really picking up.  It is about the strongest wind I would want to be on the lake with but I can only guess as to how fast it actually was.  If I knew that the max wind speed for my boat was X and the predicted wind speed was going to be greater than X I would plan for a different day.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Accuweather's Hour By Hour isn't too bad I have it bookmarked on Wylie:

http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=75098&metric=0

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  

Lunker

I use accuweather for predicted wind but I was looking for something that showed actualy wind speed from previous days hour by hour.

Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I may be off a little but the wind on the lake at 1:00am was at least 15-20 mph if I had to guess.  It was white caping at Brockdale with the wind out of the north.  Oh well, thanks anyway.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Isolated thunderstorms can produce very severe wind conditions such as outflow or shear that can be very sudden.  I was out on Benbrook lake once with my dad and a very small cloud came over and the winds exceeded 70 mph within 20 minutes and the waves were 3-4 ft high and the white caps were literally been torn off the tops of the waves and hitting us in the face.  We were in a 12 foot v-hull and the waves never came over the side but the water hitting us amounted to 3 or 4 inches of water in the boat.  By the time we got back to the ramp it was over and almost calm again.  icon_rolleyes

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

wind speed is one thing, but you also have to figure in direction...

If it is a south wind and you are up north, you can expect to get hammered.  east or west wind is easy enough to hide from - as long as you pay attention to that wind direction and pick your ramp accordingly.

We don't always do it, but a good idea is to pick a ramp that will keep you from launching against the waves.  No washing waves over the back and no getting smashed against rocks......

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Everyone should have a dry box, you can get them at academy or most anywhere. I have one of the orange ones (look like ammo boxes). Great place to keep some sweat pants, hoodie for just in case.
...Don

Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

http://www.northtexasfishing.com/smiles/th_imconfused.gif
water temp
my dry box ( and probably ss ) http://www.northtexasfishing.com/smiles/th_cheers.gif
water temp
has always got dadgom ice and c.a.b.'s in em . guess we'll have to start lookin for them boxes don 's talkin bout http://www.northtexasfishing.com/smiles/th_thumbsup.gif
water temp
...... thanks don  icon_wink  icon_lol

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: