Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 07:41:00 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
White Bass  (Read 6613 times)
LLF Fishing Legend

How do you guys cook your Sandies?  For the first time in decades I kept a few sandies last week.  Took them straight home, fillet them, cleaned them, and threw them in some foil with butter and galic salt.  They all tasted very fishy.  I know, fish tasting fishy  icon_rolleyes .  

Maybe I should have battered and fried.  Also sliced my finger open on a gill plate.  The whole experience reminded me why I usually just release them.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

they have a blood line and that is where they get the fishy taste. cut it out and soak them in butter milk for an hour and they taste alot better then.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

you can also start out by soakin em in salt water that helps alot then buttermilk

-------------------------
Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

When I cook sandies which is not often, I use the buttermilk method but I let them soak overnight. If you don't have buttermilk like most of us don't, regular milk and lemon juice will make buttermilk. About one tablespoon of lemon juice to one cup of milk. Let em soak and they usually come out snow white. Then cook em how ever you like I fry em.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

I soak mine in a clear carbonated beverage like sprite or beer.  Soak 4-24 hours.

You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

If I am gonna cook immediately, I just:

1)  Fillet the fish
2)  Rinse with water and pat dry
3)  Dip in milk.
4)  Coat with a 50/50 flour and Cornmeal
5)  Salt & Pepper
6)  Fry

Quick and easy, and the kid's love it!  Me to by the way.  If not cooked immediately, like everyone else said, definitely soak over night in salt water.  You don't have to be bashful with the salt either.

88' Allison XTB-21 and two little sidekicks that love to fish!!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Thanks, I'll try that nextime.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

a little different but "gooder"   icon_wink

1) Fillet the fish
2) Rinse with water and pat dry
3) coat with mustard
4) Coat with a 50/50 flour and Cornmeal
5) Salt & Pepper a little Cayenne pepper
6) Fry

it's ummm goood

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Jager,  liar   Cheesy  

Never thougtht about mustard...  Will have to try that next time.  My luck the kiddo's would beat me to the ones with red pepper...  icon_eek  I can hear the wife now!!  icon_rolleyes

88' Allison XTB-21 and two little sidekicks that love to fish!!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Quote from: "Steve-O"
I soak mine in a clear carbonated beverage like sprite or beer.  Soak 4-24 hours.

Think I'd use the sprite, sure wouldn't want to waste a beer!  Sad   Unless you drink it afterwards that is.....Yuck!  icon_idea

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Just thought it was funny, a buddy of mine that hates sandies said soak em in gasoline lite em on fire and call Dominoe's. Cheesy

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: "jdub"
Just thought it was funny, a buddy of mine that hates sandies said soak em in gasoline lite em on fire and call Dominoe's. Cheesy

http://www.northtexasfishing.com/smiles/th_pointup.gif
White Bass
 http://www.northtexasfishing.com/smiles/th_lamo.gif
White Bass

actually , i think i'll try a piece all these ways  icon_wink minus yours jdub

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I don't know,hhmmm blackend sandbass, my buddy may be on to something. Cool

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

If you blacken them, leave the skin on.  They are a bit flaky otherwise.  Catfish are great blackened.

You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: "Steve-O"
If you blacken them, leave the skin on.  They are a bit flaky otherwise.  Catfish are great blackened.

yea steve-o... but with gasoline   Tongue

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: