Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 03:29:10 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
How to make fried catfish crispier ?  (Read 7965 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Hey guys can you all share some tips on making fish crispy? Do i need to cook it faster slower or what ?

-------------------------
"Whale Chaser"
-Making fish famous since 2008-
Top Bottom  

Lunker

I try and keep my cooking oil between 300 and 350 degrees. The longer I leave em in there after they start to float, the crispier they are. If the oill is too hot, then you will just burn the crust and get that burnt taste...

Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

peanut oil burns at a higher temp and would allow you to cook it just a bit hotter and not get that burnt taste i would guess.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Make sure your pieces are uniform in size, I think the smaller the better.  2shot is right make sure your oil doesn't get too hot, nothing worse then burnt fish.  Are you using a batter or cornmeal dusting?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I use uncle bucks mostly,dry .Thanks for the tips guys

"Whale Chaser"
-Making fish famous since 2008-
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I use uncle bucks & cook in an electric skillet at 375, 5 minutes on each side, nice & crispy & a little dry cause that's how my family likes them.
...Don

Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

See my recipe in the recipe section.

deep fry in peanut oil at 375 for 5 min or so till they float.  perfect every time.

You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Keep oil at 350 to 360 degrees. Don't go below 325 degrees or ya gets greasy soggy fish. Yuck!

Keep size of fish pieces uniform and thin say no more than 1/2 inch.

Do not overload the pot with too much fish. It cools down the oil and doesn't allow plenty of room for fish pieces to be fully submerged in oil.

When the pieces float add 45 seconds to cook time and they be perfecto, add another 45 seconds and they be crispier and drier. Add another 45 seconds and they be crunchy and dry! These times work at 350 degree oil temps. Depending on your oil temps mileage will vary!

DON'T use a lot of batter or cornmeal. Thin coatings of batter or seasoned cornmeal work best. With thin coatings when it gets golden color the fish is done!

Peanut oil is good, Canola oil is good, Cottonseed oil (Cajun Fry) is just as good and cheaper!

Bon Appetit

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: