Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 25, 2018, 01:32:27 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
For The New Guys  (Read 3706 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

The guys that have been around the forum already know this, so this is for the new guys. It's probably a good time for a reminder.

Be careful out there. As best I can recall, 3 people, in 2 seperate incidents, lost there lives on our lake the last 2 winters.  All 3 were in the prime of life. I believe the cold water (hypothermia) killed all 3. Two died in their life jackets. It does not take the water a long time to do it either.

If your in a boat, make sure you have a partner so you may look out for each other. It's not a bad idea for us bank fisherman to do the same.

Stay safe and catch some good ones.....

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

If the water temp plus the air temp is less than 98, there is hyperthermia danger.

for instance if the water is 50 and the air is 35, that's 85.  If you fell in you might get too cold even if you got back to the boat or bank.

We did a swim test in the army one time.  It was  a balmy 35 degees in Germany.  The water was maybe 40 degrees.  Soldiers would jump in and just lock up.  Only half of the troops made it to the other side of the pool.  I always fish with someone this time of year.

Good post Lou.

-------------------------
You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

This is especially important right now. I drive over the long bridge (Branch bridge) 4 or 5 times a week and there is a LOT of debris making it's way to the main lake now that it is coming up. There is more than usual because of the new bridge construction so this is going to an issue for a while folks. BE CAREFUL!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

The debris is really thick in the trees and north winds bring them out to the main part of the lake,with the wind blowing you can see some of them but every so often you don't see them all and that's what makes it dangerous.If you feel you need to go then slow down.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

newbie here, all very good posts.  it never hurts to get a reminder now and then  Smiley

Guess I'll go fishing just for the halibut  :-o
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

This reminder REALLY makes me realize just how lucky I am to be alive. It was March 5, 2005 exactly 2 years ago this coming Monday, that I was thrown from my boat and it was at least 20 degrees colder than it is now. The water was like glass that day and I had gone up in a cove just outside the railroad trestle and when I left the cove to go back to the Power Plant ramp I hit a boat wake and was tossed out. I had taken my life jacket off to fish for bass and when I was thrown out I was wearing a heavy coat which got water logged instantly. I found my life jacket floating in the water about 60 feet away and had to dog paddle over to get it then I spotted my boat cushion so I got it too. I can tell you that it was a miracle that I was rescued before I drowned because a guy named Bob Nix happened to be watching the lake from his yard and saw my boat going in circles grabbed some binoculars and saw me in the water and he got his neighbor Skip Stovall to go with him and they launched Bob's pontoon boat which had a dead battery so they had to put his truck battery in it before they could come and get me. I was in the water for 25 minutes and I was so cold that I could barely crawl on my hands and knees once they pulled me out of the water. Four hours later after a long hot shower I was still shivering violently. I can tell you that when God needs a guardian angel he deputizes them right on the spot. Bob and Skip are my guardian angels. It was just two weeks before my near drowning that the young guy died I guess trying to retrieve his boat that drifted away from the ramp at Brockdale. I was over 1/4 mile from shore. It has really made me rethink the way I live. Tex and the families of the victims that drowned last year can attest it is something you never forget. It was several months before I could come to grips with what happened to me. Psalms 71:15-20 says it best for me.

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  

Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: "arborist"
to fish for bass

That was the problem there. If you were catfishing it would have never happened.

Just joking with you. You should be thankful. I dont wear my jacket unless I am made to and that is not the smartest thing in the world. I just like the way it feels without the jacket Wink

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I made all of the classic mistakes - took calm water for granted, didn't wear my life jacket, didn't attach the kill switch cord to my belt, went by myself, didn't have my cell phone in a water proof bag and wasn't catfishing!

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: