Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2018, 06:46:37 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
How many of you take a marine VHF radio out when fishing ?  (Read 5386 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Just a quick question. I had looked at them and thought it was a good idea. I know the corps or CG would hear if I was to make an emergency transmission, but who takes them on the water each time they fish ?

-------------------------
Life isn't like a box of chocolates..... more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn you tomorrow !!
Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

i would put a radio or walkie in my boat if a bunch of members did just to bs on the water. make it part of my rountine while launching to turn the radio on to "LLF" channel.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

BS?  Us?

You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

It would be nice to know if the Corp or CG Auxillary monitored any chanels that regular walkie talkies tranmit on.... I'll PM Mark to see if he knows.

I'm with brent. I like the BS factor too.  Plus its always good to have in case of an emergency...asssuming some one else has one on too.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I would at least do the walkie talkie if I knew others were also.
...Don

Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  
Minnow

What is the "official' LLF channel?  I have been on the lake many times and so far I have not received a reply on my radio.  It might just be me!!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

all done through cell phones right now.  with the radio, youwouldn't have to know who else was out there.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

tex@northtexasguideservice.com

Quote from: "shawn"
It would be nice to know if the Corp or CG Auxillary monitored any chanels that regular walkie talkies tranmit on.... I'll PM Mark to see if he knows.

I'm with brent. I like the BS factor too.  Plus its always good to have in case of an emergency...asssuming some one else has one on too.

Shawn, you sure you know what lakewater looks like...how long has it been since you been fishing?

Top Bottom  

Group: Legend in His Own Mind
LLF Fishing Legend

if i thought other members had a radio..and we all were on a certain channel..i'd put one in my boat for the BS also

Team Pyle & Clyde
If a southern woman is a "Southern Bell", is a mexican woman a "Taco Bell"?
Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

i'm not sure about them but somebody like shawn pick a channel and thats what we'll use on the water.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

If we had this, I would also get a radio.

Anybody got any advice on a low cost option?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I have two hand helds, but I don't take them anymore cause nobody is out there to talk to. Cell phones have just taken over, if I had a time machine I'd go back and kill the f#@$#$!! Can't do nothing without someone being able to contact me.

Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

Shawn, you sure you know what lakewater looks like...how long has it been since you been fishing?

Heck I know what the water looks like, steve-0 posted a pic yesterday Wink

you notice I didn't say anything about using it, and being in a boat Wink

Actually I've been out a few times crappie fishing on Ray roberts in a friend of a friends boat.

I do need to get out more.  Kid #2 is due in a few days, and I think my chances of fishing are even going to be lower than before Sad

We had an official chanel, it was chanel 12.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Hi guys,

Excellent question, and I've always wondered why the radios are so quiet on our side.

I think, the question comes down to what kind of radio you're carrying.

We do not monitor CB radio freqs. There are just too many of them, and there are no controls as to who has one and how their used. I do not know if the Corps or Parks and Wildlife carry CBs or not. East Fork has a couple of radios, but I'm not sure if one is a CB or not.

We do carry and monitor maritime VHF-FM radios. There is a base unit at East Fork, and I'm pretty sure TPWD carrys these as well. I don't know if the Corps uses them or not.

We monitor channel 16 on maritime VHF-FM radios any time we're on the lake. East Fork also monitors 16 any time there's someone in the office. In fact, anyone carrying a maritime VHF-FM radio is REQUIRED to monitor 16 when underway....that means you guys too.

VHF-FM does offer side channels to use for communications between ships, and I think there are a fair number open in the Lavon area (you might get bleed from Ray Hubbard when the conditions are right). I don't remember what those channels are off the top of my head, but I could easily find out. Then you could use an approved channel without worrying about stepping on anyone's toes.

But if you're talking about CBs, then I'm affraid I can't help a whole lot. Store-bought walkie-talkies get even more complicated...they can use any of a hundred different freqs that aren't even covered by CB rules & regs. We'd literally never be able to find you on a store-bought WT.

Mark

Top Bottom  
Lunker

One other thing...we don't monitor on a consistent basis. The only time anyone monitors the radios is when they're on the water. Same goes for law enforcement.

I did get some details on the channels you can use for maritime VHF-FM radios. Have a look at: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm.

You can call to other boaters on 9, then switch to 68, 69, 71, 72 or 78 for general conversations. You could make 68, 69, 71, 72 or 78 the "official" channel for the group if you'd like.

Mark

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: