Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2018, 06:53:58 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Safety Tips  (Read 3569 times)
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

In light of recent events, many thought it would be good to have a post with saftey tips.  

Please post them here.

I will from time to time clean up these posts to try to keep them all in one post to make them easy to read with out having to read through pages of tips.  Do not be offended if your post gets deleted and/or merged into other posts.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

-Wear your life preserver, especially when underway.
-Test your life preserver to make sure it will float you head up in case you lose conscienceness.
-If the water temp plus air temp is less than 98 degrees, there is a serious chance of hypothermia should you fall in.  Never go alone under these circumstances.

-------------------------
You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Emergency Items and preparations:
1.  Cell phone with water proof case - emergency numbers setup for one touch dialing.
2.  Tie kill switch cable to your belt to kill the motor if you go overboard.
3.  Signal Flares
4.  Flashlight that is water proof and floats.
5.  Weather radio or setup weather warnings for your cell phone.
6.  Check weather online right before you depart.
7.  Make sure batteries are fully charged even if you don't intend to use trolling motor or lights.
8.  Anchor and rope.
9.  Paddle
10. A long pole with a hook is very handy so you don't have to lean way out to reach something (Andrew's idea) great for jug fishing or trotlining.
11. Wear life jacket while underway or all the time after dark or when there is bad weather (windy, cold, rainy or thunderstorms).
12.  GPS unit to trace your steps back on an unfamiliar lake.
13.  Lake maps showing known hazards etc.
14.  A knife that is sharp and floats.
15.  Check gas and oil levels before the trip and often during the trip.
16.  Tools and parts needed to work on motor (screw driver, a few wrenches and pliers to change spark plugs, shear pins or adjust carbs)
17.  Use 5 gallon buckets to keep clutter down in the boat so you can avoid trip hazards.
18.  Emergency whistle or air horn.
19.  Sunscreen and bug repellent.  
20.  Check drain plug and keep a spare.
21.  Test boat lights before going out and keep a spare bulb or two.

There is ALWAYS room for one more fishing rod in your collection!!!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Possibly the quickest response to an emergency call would be if it was received by other boaters on the lake. I usually take with me two of those two way radios from academy. It is usually set to scan mode in case of tasty info from other anglers, but this also doubles an emergency broadcast receiver if somebody in the vicinity needed help. I'm not saying it is a failsafe method but if I heard a distress call while on the water I would probably there quicker than calling the police.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates..... more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn you tomorrow !!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

one of the best pieces of advice and simplest is to never fish in a boat alone.  Yes we are adults, but stuff happens.  Nobody ever thinks it is going to happen to them.

Also, the folks on this forum and their cell phone numbers is one of the most reliable tools you can have (not just good for emergencies, but also for general stuff like - I ran out of gas).

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Thats a good idea. If the admins want to set up another sticky heres my cell phone. 214 680 7533. simon leicester (pronounced lester )

If you see me out there feel free to call for anything.... except scott sandy to laugh at me

Life isn't like a box of chocolates..... more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn you tomorrow !!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Scott laughs a lot.  He usually laughs with you.  But on occaision, he will laugh at you.  Like if you show up at weigh in with one 12 incher (sorry, couldn't resist).

My grandad fished Lake Gibson in OK for 15 years.  He said half of the drowned fishermen had their fly unzipped.  (truth)

Don't drink (too much) and fish.

Obey boating laws.  lights up front, white in the rear, one throw away life preserver, and one life vest (that fits) for everyone in the boat.

You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Take a bucket or bottle to relieve yourself, it's much safer than standing on the edge.

Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  
Lunker

Just a general suggestion.

I drink beer (or did), -and- I do stupid stuff.

Funny thing is 99.5% of the MOST stupid stuff I've ever done was within an hour to 30 minutes of partaking of the beer...   (e.g. standing up on the edge of a 10 ft. jon-boat to let the recycled beer whiz away in a 20 mph. crosswind and white-caps on the water). That was 20 years and 50 pounds ago though. Nowadays I would capsize that same 10 ft. jon-boat if I didn't keep my manly physique planted on that center seat.

And it never fails to amaze me the number of drunks I've bumped into over the years either in a bait shop heading to the lake, pulling onto or off of a ramp, etc., etc.

JUST SAY NO!

"Even if your on the right track, you'll still get run over if your just settin' there"  ---Will Rogers
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I don't know what you're talkin about- I don't think anyone drinks on this lake... icon_rolleyes

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Once upon a time, I was actually in the active duty Coast Guard. I was stationed outside San Francisco. An old chief boatswains mate once told me something that sticks in my mind even now, almost 25 years later, and it's something easily overlooked.

Treat any line on a boat like a poisonous snake, if you step on it, you're dead.

The idea is, if you tangle in a line that's paying out over the side, you're going under. I knew a guy in the CG that didn't pay attention to this advice. He tangled his foot in an anchor line while it was paying out in about 50 feet of water. He was over the side before anyone really knew what was going on. Luckily, he had a safety knife clipped to his belt and cut himself out before he got too deep.

That's another important point: Never get on a boat without a safety knife. REI sells a really nice divers knife for about $35. It comes in a heavy plastic sheath that clips to your belt. It doesn't have a point, so you don't have to worry about poking yourself with it by mistake.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

A friend of mine has (had) an old boat and the gas lines dry rotted and it sprung a gas leak down in the back of the boat where it was out of sight and it caught on fire and after he beached the boat it burned to the water line.  Just a thought to remind folks to check your hoses now and then.

There is ALWAYS room for one more fishing rod in your collection!!!
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: