Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 05:37:40 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Lucus Ed's Funnoodle Jug project (Improved design)  (Read 25394 times)
Minnow

Please Sir, what is the approx. weight inside the PVC pipe?

Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

the weight is whatever the 1/2 rod 7" long weighs. not sure if Ed has the actual weight of it.he may. not too heavy less than a 1lb for sure.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Dont know what the weight is...
It's a solid 5 inch long piece of rod cut from a 36 inch long piece bought at Home Depot. To work right it has to be one piece, rocks, bolts or loose weight doesnt work.
You put 2 tablespoons of oil in the PVC and it slides great.

-------------------------
Top Bottom  
Lunker

Are 2# weights good enough for these or does it need more?

Thanks,
Hatz

"Remember.... When in doubt shoot the fish before you bring it into the boat!"
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

The bricks I use weigh four pounds each....

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Thanks Ed!

Hatz

Top Bottom  
Lunker

I saw on your drawings and such that you use 50+ pound line.  Later I think you mention you used 80#.  When using 80# line is it hard getting the brick up off the bottom?  Also what transition are you using from your main line to the brick?  Are you using standard rope on the bricks with a swivel you snap to?
Thanks,
Hatz

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I use poly line wrapped around and thru the holes in the brick.  It is looped thru a bunch of times then tied.  At the end of my jug line I have a clip. I just clip it to the line wrapped around the brick.

I really use 30lb line for the jug line.

Ed

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Ed,

With 30# line I guess you use the jug as a handle to pull the brick up... Does the line cut into the noodle?

Hatz

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

No.... I pull the line up with my hands, with gloves on, put the brick into the boat, then wind the line up around the noodle, unhook it from the brick, and then clip the end it to the clip on the end of the jug, then wind the leaders around the noodle and put to hooks into the noodle.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Learning one step at a time

bump

Neil
Top Bottom  
Lunker

For those of you looking for the white "foam noodles", I looked forever for a source and finally found one in Dallas.  This actual material is called Backer Rod and comes in different diameters as well as lengths.  They use this material to fill gaps during road and bridge construction.  The material a closed-cell polyethylene foam which means it won't break up like regular Styrofoam, nor will it absorb water.  Please note, that the backer rods you buy from SSI are solid, but I simply used a piece of 1/2" metal conduit to "drill" a hole that you slide your PVC pipe through.  It works great and it not very difficult.

This can be found at:

SSI Construction & Industrial Materials
2376 Glenda Lane
Dallas, TX 75229
972-243-0676

I've made around 50 of these for myself and my father.  They catch fish and are very durable!  I want to say I paid around $6 per 6 foot section, but that was a year or so ago. Good luck.

Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:27:19 PM by WeekendAngler
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

These work really good but a word of caution, check your depth finder and loosen the line from the keeper before you slip your weight back into the water. After I was re-baiting my hooks, I slid the line back in the water. I realized I had drifted into deeper water and started to let out more line, the jug slipped out of my hand before I got the line unclipped and I have a jug sitting about 5 foot under the water at Avalon. Maybe I will find it the next time the lake level drops.  I am now using 3/4 of a brick as a weight to see how that works. It is lighter and easier to handle.

Neil
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Neil......
Using only 3/4 of a brick is not enough weight if you hook a 14-20 pounder, it will drag that brick across the lake, or into deeper water and you will lose another one.

Ed

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Thanks

Neil
Top Bottom  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Jump to: