Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2018, 10:27:52 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Fry's has the meridian GPS on sale for $99 again  (Read 3329 times)
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

Fry's has the meridian GPS on sale for $99 again...this is the one that  adam and I both got and it is really nice..they also have the secure digital memory on sale for $39 after rebate for 128MB......

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Does this show a map of lavon and where you are in relation to the banks?  Do I need to buy the software if I know someone that has it?  Can I copy a CD and have it work without a key?  Or are there advantages to owning a copy outright?

What interface does it have with the computer?  USB?

How would you rate it's ease of use and accuracy?

-------------------------
You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

I think it is easy to use.  it comes with basic maps included that has the major roads (like interstates etc) included and the "basic" layout of the maps included...the lake shorelines are not super accurate before you upgrade the map......for example...everything above 380 is not there(meaning it doesn't show it is part of the lake)...but when you upgrade the memory and install the maps alot more detail show up and almost all of the little streets show up too.  My street is not on there so it may be a few years outdated on streets etc.......

It uses a serial port...

Um, as far as copying or using some one else software.....I wouldn't know anything about that....that's illegal, yeah, thats it.....does that answer your question Cheesy ......

Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

For $99 dollars it is unbeatable. The software is pretty acurate but not 100%. I would say if you are in the market for a GPS this is a really good buy.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Shawn and Adam ....
What Meridian model GPS is it? Is it the one that can hook up to a laptop?   I have Topo USA 3D software and it is GPS capatible. Would the Fry unit work with it? Do you know?

Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

Yes it  will work with a laptop as I use mine with Microsoft Streets and maps software on my laptop.

It is the Magellan Meridian GPS. that is its model description. here is what the features are from Magellans site

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=89

By the way Academy sells the same GPS for just under over $200 dollars.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  
Lunker

I got one today the one on sale is yellow but has the same features as shawn and adam's.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Shawn/Adam, how much sd ram do you suggest picking in it for the software?

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

I do not have mine upgraded yet but I'm thinking about going to get some today.....adam has 64MB in his.  One of the guys adam talked to said that the unit may not be able to recognize the full 128MB (if you buy the max) so thats why he got the 64...since the 128 is on sale...I'll probably get it anyway...

Top Bottom  
Lunker

that's cool, I think I'll get the software later when I can find a good deal on it,since it is wrong to copy software or download it off the internet(Yeah,I wouldn't want to get in trouble)  Adam is there anything special you need to run the microsoft program and which program is better? Just trying to get the best program?

Mike

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

mine came with everything I needed. the megellan software is the better of the two because you can download detailed maps of regions onto the GPS.

It did take me alot of configuring to figure out how to get my GPS to talk to the software.

Adam
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

I got one too.  I got the 128M memory also.  I'm hard pressed to understand how it would be limited to 64, but if it is the 128 was just as cheap.

Initial impression is that it's pretty good.  I read the differences between the platinum, gold, and other versions.  The main difference is the memory.  And since I now have 128/64, I think I got a good deal.

The user manual shipped with the product is weak.  Doesn't tell you how to install the memory chip.  It comes with a manual (pdf) on CD which did not work.  In fact, when i downloaded it and installed adobe 5.0, it corrupted my system.  Took me 2 hours to recover.  But I downloaded the newer user manual  and it works fine.

I printed the manual at staples.  I double sided it and spiral bound it.  Figured I'd be useing the heck out of it.  I have an extra one sided copy if someone wants it.

Have not had a chance to use it a lot.  I will in the upcoming months I'm sure.  Thanks for the heads up Adam.  Between you and Mugz, I'll never save another penny!   icon_wink

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

its on sale again...... I ought to work for meridian.  I think I'll come up with a new slogan........ Dude! you're gettin' a gps......  you think dell would mind?? Cheesy

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

The manual says it will hold up to 64m.  I bought generic 128M on sale at frys.  It was much cheaper than the meridian version.  It works.  Not sure if it recognizes all of the 128M (don't know why it would not) but it will hold the east half of Texas.  Adam says this fits on 64M.  I have not tried anything larger.

Pretty cool little tool.  My only ding is that it won't sync. You can't make changes on the desktop and GPS.  Whenever you upload or download, it erases what is at the destination.  Not a big deal, just have to remember this.

It also does not come with an adapter.  You have to buy this separately.  Along this same line, I wish it had rechargeable batteries.

But, like Adam said, it's tremendous value.

My .02

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

its now on sale, 1 day only $79..........

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: