Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2018, 05:04:04 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Got boat  (Read 8139 times)
Lunker Extreme

Just bought a 17' V bottom wired with lights and on a trailer - No motor but is regestered and has a title. Picking it up Thursday. I'm finally off the bank.  Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   $150.00   icon_eek

-------------------------
Jimmy
Early to bed early to rise. Fish all day and make up lies.
Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

AWESOME!  You can get a little trolling motor and make it out to the timber off of brockdale until you can get a gas motor!  Sounds like some one else that gonna go out there and outfish me! Cheesy

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

That's exactly what i'm going to do. Man as much as i've walked around lavon the last nine months it will feel good to be on the water. Why are outboards so dang expensive? I'll be shopping arounnd for one soon. Shawn I had to come back and edit. I meant getting out to the trees is exactly what i'm going to do not out fish you.  Cheesy  If memory serves me right it was the other way around when we went out.  Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Jimmy
Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

That is the question of the Decade..... :?

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Congrats on the boat Jimmy!!

Steven
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Thanks Mugz. Untill I can get me a outboard all you guy's take it easy on me when your flying by me heading out to the trees.  Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Jimmy
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Jimmy its simple. 200lb spiderwire and a 5/0 treble. Wait until they go by a let it sail. Might be a little on the Redneck way of doing it, but hey, if it works. Its a lot cheaper buying a big ol' saltwater reel vs a outboard motor. icon_rolleyes

Jim reed
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Jim that would be sure nuff REDNECK boating.  Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Jimmy
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

There was a thread on TFF about used trolling motors if you are interested.

But by the time you bought a used one, two batteries, and a charger, you could by a used outboard (small).

You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Jimmy....

Academy has a 40lb Minn-Kota for $80....... I would not get a used trolling motor...the technology has changed the last few years and the new ones conserve battery power.....

For batteries get the strongest deep cycle battery you can find and afford.  Batteries Plus has some, so does Sams Club. Shop around and compare ratings. It can mean the difference in trolling for 4 hours or 8 hours. I bought a real powerful one and one small one for backup in case I use up the big one.

For outboards, check out www.smalloutboards.com.

With a 17ft boat, 2 men in the boat, on a windy day, against the wind, you will need at least a 5HP outboard and forget it getting on Lavon in 10 mph winds with just the trollng motor. A rule of thumb I learned in diving..."start out against the wind".

[/quote]There is nothing wrong with people that don't fish....as long as you don't have to talk to them!

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

LucasEd thanks for the info and advice. Next pay check (15th) I will be going to get me a trolling motor and I will take your advice on getting a new one. Probably be close to the end of the month before I can get her on the water. This will be MY first boat to own and I'm learning real fast that they aren't cheap to maintain ,even a little fishing boat.

Jimmy
Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

amen to that Jimmy!!! I suggest Sams Club for the battery. I bought my last one there and I did not have to pay a core charge.( most places make you pay the core charge even if there is no old battery)

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Jimmy....

Another thing you may want to get, as well as a normal battery charger, is a Solar Panel Trickle Charger for your deep cycle battery.  With a Trolling motor only set-up, you need as much power as you can get and you can leave it connected with alligator clips even out on the water and charge while you go.  Then you can leave it on to keep the battery at its peak.

You can get these for around $25/$30 at AutoZone or Radio Shack.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

That other boat deal fell through but I just purchased this one from a guy on TFF. He's getting all the paper work done and I'm picking it up Thursday at 4:30 in Carrollton.   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

71 GM 14 ft Aluminum Jon Boat.
Carpeted, 2 pedestal seats, switch box rigged with bow light, bilge pump and Hummingbird (I think it’s a LCR 4000, but I’ll have to look) depth/fish finder. Motor is ’69 model Johnson, 9.5HP that ran good for the year I had it, but wouldn’t start after I got back from a 2 wk vacation in France. I think the problem may lie in the carburetor because it was starting to run a little sluggish but I’m not really mechanically inclined enough to know for sure… or to fix it. I’ll throw in a 30 lb Thrust Motorguide Power Plus 12v trolling motor. Leaks a little, but bilge gets it out fine. Semi-firm on $500.

Jimmy
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

here is a link to a picture of his boat

http://lakelavonfishing.dnsalias.com/album_see.php?id=70

I put a link for those on dialup and a slower connections speed.

The best thing about this boat is it is small enough (motor) you can take it out on whiterock...... I see some crappie in your future!

congrats!

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: