Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:37:06 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Lavon Catfishing  (Read 4727 times)
Group: Fishing Guide
Lunker Extreme

Catfishing has been very good drifting main lake points and flats in 18-35 foot of water. The Blues will come in the 30-35 feet range.  Fresh Shad fished on a Carolina rig is the best method. Most fish are 1-5 pounds

-------------------------
Jerry

www.NorthTexasGuideService.com
04' Crappie USA Region 4 Champion
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

tex@northtexasguideservice.com

Just signed up for this site....seems like all I do is look for information on Lavon....Jerry, we are bound to bump into each other sooner or later....look forward to meeting you in person....love the information you have posted on whiskerkitty and look forward to more here.

Doug

Top Bottom  
Minnow

I work for a company in Plano but live in Pa. I come down here about 2-3 weeks a month. Got a NR license and try to get out fishing every evening. Looking for advise on bank fishing for cats at Lavon. I,ve been below the dam, lots of small ones. Lavon is only about 20-30 minutes for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

RickR

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

This is a GUESS, since I don't bank fish.  However, I wouldn't try this from a boat because of the boat movement.  Just north of the Brockdale ramp, there are some stickups.  I know drifting out from them has produced some fish for me, but obviously, drifting through timber isn't terribly productive Smiley.  It would seem logical that this cover would provide good fishing on dead shad (don't use live, or they'll wrap your line around said timber).  Also, make sure you've got the tackle to horse the fish out of there or you'll probably end up with break-offs as they wrap up in the timber.  

I've often thought of trying there, but my aluminum boat isn't much on staying still and allowing a good tightline.  

Wait until the ramp is clear, stand right next to the water's edge and throw the cast net out onto the ramp.  Don't throw right or left of the ramp or you'll lose your cast net in the rocks.  You don't need to throw out more than a few feet.  The water won't be real deep, but 2' of shad holding water is better than 30' of water with no shad Smiley.  

Food is close, cover is right there, and the water's usually fairly muddy, the only concern I'd have is whether the fish that bite will be catfish, bass, gar, or something else... but hey, fish is fish.

Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

Since you are limited to the bank, you may be a perfect candidate for some chumming. Since you are out so much you could get a couple of baited holes in no time.  Get some grain, soak it in water so it sinks and throw it out there.  I am assuming that you are in a hotel so souring your grain probably not an option. I would not throw a bunch out there...just enough to get them hungry.  The area mike describes would be good. Areas around highland, bratonia, twin groves or caddo may be good also.  The main thing is, look for structure that is some what shallow.  I think you may do pretty well.  Good luck.

Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
Lunker Extreme

The point just south of the Brockdale ramp will produce a few fish most evenings. I would follow Mike's advice and get some fresh Shad and cast as far as you can off the point. Bank fishing is a hit or miss thing except during the spring.  Good Luck,  

Jerry
www.LakeLavonGuideService.com

Jerry

www.NorthTexasGuideService.com
04' Crappie USA Region 4 Champion
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

tex@northtexasguideservice.com

My advice would be to book a trip with Jerry....he will put you on the catfish......

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Thanks for all your input. I went out to Brockdale last night 5:30- 8:00. Picked up two cats and 1 small striper. Had a good time. Nice place to fish. Smiley

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: