Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2017, 08:00:01 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Best catch and release hooks?  (Read 266 times)

Lunker

What is the best catch and release catfish hook for bank fishing?

I usually use a 5/0 circle hook but have started having gut hooks with them.

Thanks

Top Bottom  

Lunker

What is the best catch and release catfish hook for bank fishing?

We use Eagleclaw L197 or L198 hooks in 4/0 and 5/0 size on our jug lines and have never had a gut hook.  We have caught many in the 30's and several in the 40's  without any sign of hook straightening.  Largest one we CPR'd we couldn't weigh because our scales only go to 50 lbs.

-------------------------
A day without fishing is a day lost forever!
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Thank you. I will go to Academy soon and get those hooks.

Sounds like you are catching some nice ones. 

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

We use gamakatsu series 208 offset circle hooks in size 6/0 or 8/0. The 6/0 will catch those pesky itty bitty kitties and will hold 60 pound fish easily. Never had one gut hooked with either. You can get them at Barlows.

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Ultimately the best "catch and release" hook would be a barbless circle hook that is not offset. The non-offset would make it more likely than an offset hook to be pulled out of the fishes esophagus if it ever made it down there. As it is also barbless it would be trickier and require a little more focus and skill to land a fish.

Since your post is specific to "gut hooking" being the problem, perhaps you only need to try a non offset circle hook which should reduce the probability of gut-hooking. These are why they are often a requirement for fishing tournaments where they hope to release the fish in good shape.
Supporting Info:
https://www.sportfishingmag.com/how-to-pick-saltwater-fishing-circle-hooks

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Thanks fellas. The link is helpful, getting a hook that rusts out quick is a good idea. I will look for a non offset hook this time. 

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Good info Lou on the in-line hooks .
 Larger hooks , off-set or not will help from gut hooking but surprisingly still catch eaters.
8/0-10/0 work well.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I've never had a problem with fish swallowing the hook and I use 8/0 -9/0 barb less circle hooks by Team Catfish and even though I use big hooks and bait I still catch eater size blues.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Do the barbless hooks still hold the fish well?

I will try out a pack of large 8/0 hooks. I figured larger hooks would deter fish but it sounds like that is not an issue.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: