Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 12:01:46 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Any results lately?  (Read 744 times)

Lunker

Plan is to spend some time this weekend on the lake. Anybody having any luck? Is this a bad time of year? Still looking at 5-10 FOW with shad, is this bad assumption now?

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I will let you know tomorrow. I'm going out in the morning shallow river mouth fishing (hubbard)
wish me luck

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Good luck, my daughters school FFA program is sponsoring a livestock show in McKinney on both Saturday and Sunday (with set up Friday night), so I may not get out until Sunday evening, or Monday morning (or both Smiley)
Thinking of launching out of a different area as well. Maybe explore some more options. Have a couple of spots in mind.
This leads me to a question for you bank fisherman. If I see you on the bank fishing, what is a safe assumption for how far out you casted? I don't want to drop anchor on someone's bait for sure! Or have someone start slinging 4oz weights at my head! icon_lol Just looking for advice to share the lake a bit. I know when I cast with totally the wrong gear, I get about 20 yards!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Cast 40 to 120 + yards depending what bait is being used. A carp head would be closer to 40, and a carp fillet strip closer to 120. Gizzard shad heads somewhere between. Wind direction & speed plays a factor as well. And I often wade out up to 50 yards (sometimes more) prior to casting. So anywhere from 40 to 150 yards, but usually in the 80 to 120 yard range. I'm getting older and not fishing much so have probably lost a few yards. Stiff surf rods, braided line and 6-8oz weights can be cast pretty far.

I'm not about to sling lead at someone for making a mistake.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Wow. You can really get the bait out there. I know you guys on here would not sling lead at me (not running a jet ski 20 feet from shore!) just want to get an idea what to look out for. Looks like the ramp to get to area I was thinking is closed now so may go explore around tickey creek. Never been there but will keep eye out on shore. I suspect you guys on this site are not going where I see folks all the time anyhow. Where I see bank folks look like easy access, no work type of places.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

The last few times catfishing have been very slow.  I have used chicken liver & shad in 5-10 foot deep water. I have been out around sunset so that may have been the problem. Best of luck. Hopefully the corps keeps bank fishing spots open for us especially at night.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

What Lou said, a lot depends on bait. A lot of people like to wade out pretty far, then sling it. Plan on getting out to much more fishing in the next few months.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Too beat after working the stock show all weekend. Hoping to hit it Friday night/Saturday am. So far weather looks a little more reasonable!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

I haven't wet a hook since March but this time of year is usually when the lake turns over and the thermocline changes. Lavon was raised in 1975 and all around the lake is a ledge, more pronounced in some areas than others. The steeper the decline in depth the better. Now this ledge should be around 16 to 18 feet and should be just above where the new thermocline will set. This depth will be oxygen rich and a haven for shad. Where you find the shad you will find the kitties. If in a boat, driftin along the ledge from 15 feet deep to 19 feet deep can produce limits of eaters. Try south side of island or south of Tiki entrance into lake, east arm east or west side. Or any other hard clay bottom will work. The key is to drift parallel to the ledge and not over it. This way your drift (bait) is always in the target zone.

Yes, that means the wind direction is crucial or ya have to use yer motor to power drift. There are lots of places on Lavon like this. Find several areas for different wind directions and you can most always catch kitties this time of year.

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Sorry for the late report back Only pulled in two last Friday in the location described fished from 4 to 8am 4 to 6' deep in the trees. The input from the river had slowed down quite a bit. Will try again in a week or so.
I stayed way out of the river mouth. I don't know if I would have done better in closer

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Launched this last Saturday, highland park. Pretty popular place this time of year! Did see some folks having luck with teal. I stayed south of all that action. Shad were hard to come by (got one, 2", that's it!). Hit all my good spots, and ran the shoreline south of ramp, and north of ramp. Nothing. Ended up throwing the last of a frozen one I had left. No bites at all. Been all over that area since I started this a year ago. Thinking of rolling over to Tiki Creek next time. 14ft john boat, probably need to steer clear of big water, but going to try something different. Highland is so easy for me, 15 minutes from home to in the water. Brockdale is close, never had much luck in and around there. Wanted to go closer to the south side of the long bridge was my next target, but with road closed will have to wait a bit. I guess I could shoot there from highland, but last two times I tried that, I hit some stumps pretty hard. I thought for sure one punctured my boat, and I was going slow (1967 6hp motor don't fly). The ramp on the other side (where RC airplanes fly), I have only caught gar and twisted some brush up in prop. Probably covered with the duck hunters this time of year. Did have my first meet and greet with game warden at the ramp. Nice guy, he was pretty busy with the duck hunters as they were rolling in.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

34# off a boat dock at Texoma on the 8th. Cut perch and 25 ft. deep. Was with jray and kahuna. Jigged up maybe 30 or so crappie too but only 19 keepers.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Nice kitty James!  icon_cool

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Gonna try again at day break tomorrow north of 380. Yall Wave if you see a blue Bennie

Top Bottom  

Lunker

No luck in the shallows after 9:30am headed back north and caught a couple drifting 18 ft water
Saved the day

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: