Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2018, 03:42:06 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Grandson fishing  (Read 1066 times)
Minnow

My grandson wants to catch some catfish and I don't know any holes on the lake (Lavon).
Are the cats in deep water or shallows?
Cut shad or live shad?
Can anyone help me with some locations.
Thanks for your help.
Carl

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Dunno how much I can help as I've not fished much of late, but I'll give my 2 cents.

Deep or Shallow:  The thermocline and  boat/PWC traffic would preclude me from fishing deep. Historically for me while bottom fishing in the heat of Aug, the shallower water has produced fish while the deep end has produced very little. Also, boat traffic can get heavier on the deeper and less obstructed areas of the lake, so it makes sense to fish shallower water near some timber as the pleasure boaters/PWC folks tend to shy away from timber.  You may have a few fisherman to contend with, but they usually are better about avoiding my fishing lines than the pleasure craft folks.

Where exactly: Don't think anyone's gonna give any specific info for all here to see. There are multiple reasons for this.

You need to ask yourself "do I want a bathroom close by" and "do I want to be fishing near my vehicle". If the answer is yes, you will probably want to choose one of the COE operated parks. If you don't need a bathroom, you can use popular online map websites to find "potential" spots, then go site survey them to see if they are "fishable" and logistically viable. By "fishable", I mean that you want to see if you can access it legally (without crossing through private property) and ,especially in this high water period, if you have enough room to fish at a particular spot. Also, you want to guesstimate that you can fish the spot without repeatedly getting hung on the stuff in the water.  By "logistically viable" I mean are you able to get your carcass and gear to that spot. How overgrown a spot is, how fit you and your grandson are, and how much stuff are you carrying? 
-----------------------------------------------------
With all the water running into the lake and the lake level rising, it may be worth trying a spot near where one of the many creeks delivers runoff to the lake.  Stay safe and good luck.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Thanks for you help.
We are going out this morning.
Carl

Top Bottom  
Minnow

We have found a very nice spot to fish.
My grandson had a blast.
We have fished lake Conroe and lake Livingston for many years and the same tricks for those lakes work here.
Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Nice fish!! Care to share your tricks? Been fishing for cats about a year now, always looking to learn...

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: