Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 09:33:07 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
New PB!  (Read 1323 times)

Lunker

Having problems with motor not pushing in gear under load.  Looks like a spark problem. Went through points and plugs. She ran good in bucket so hit the water. Same thing. It was dead calm but decided to just toss my net and see. Caught two nice size shad so putted out a. It and baited 4 rods. Sun started getting a little low and about to reel in when I got a good runner. Got her turned and close to boat and she drove hard under boat. Snapped my 30 year old rod! Still got her in boat for a quick picture. I know I am typing a lot for just a 16 pounder but it was my new PB! Her smile is a bit better than mine.

Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:51:39 PM by tdwcacher
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Congrats on the new PB.
 Nice going on a nice Summer fish!
   Keep on keepin' on.......

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Nice work on the PB tdw....

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

12, 7oz---PB...Good fishing to you!!!!

Thanks for the report...And, nice fish.... hitfan

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Need to add a few details. 5 fow. Santee cooper rig. 1/2 cut shad. Large. Placed just in front (south side) of 2-3 dead trees. If there was a wind it would have. Even blowing into the tree line.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Personal Best 51lb. Blue

Good job, getting that fresh bait and TOW! 

-------------------------
I now believe that fishing is far more important than catching fish.
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Congratulations on PB.  Fishing is always surprising, seldom ever goes the way you expect it. I went 34 years with a PB freshwater Flathead catfish of 12.25.  Then Upped it to 30.5 blue in 2010 and 40.0 blue in 2012.  Been looking for that 50 ever since and only netted one over 10, a 15.5.  So, get all that TOW you can and good things will happen when you least expect it.

A day without fishing is a day lost forever!
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Congrats! Way to keep at it!

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Congratulations on PB.  Fishing is always surprising, seldom ever goes the way you expect it. I went 34 years with a PB freshwater Flathead catfish of 12.25.  Then Upped it to 30.5 blue in 2010 and 40.0 blue in 2012.  Been looking for that 50 ever since and only netted one over 10, a 15.5.  So, get all that TOW you can and good things will happen when you least expect it.
Ain't that the truth. Spend hours judging wind speed, looking for brush, bait, humps and valleys and get nothing. Toss some lines near a tree on a dead calm day when I only had about 45 minutes to fish while checking out my motor, then snag a PB.
Guess you never know when, but got to have bait in water to make it happen!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

congrats on that new pb .....  icon_cool

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Congrats on the PB! icon_biggrin Next time lighten that drag a little and maybe not break another rod!  icon_cool Lot of stress can be put on a rod when ya get that fish close to the boat. Not much line to stretch so the rod takes all the energy unless the drag is lightened up a bit.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Congrats on the PB! icon_biggrin Next time lighten that drag a little and maybe not break another rod!  icon_cool Lot of stress can be put on a rod when ya get that fish close to the boat. Not much line to stretch so the rod takes all the energy unless the drag is lightened up a bit.
Thanks for the tip, it caught me off guard for sure. She was pulling away and when I got her turned she was under the boat fast. Got to learn to work drag while reeling in a little better for sure.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

I like to keep my drags set at 10 to 15 pounds if using 25 pound test line. You can fight a big fish with the drag set this way. If ya need to tighten the drag...do it a little at a time. As long as you can bring in some line after runs the drag is OK IMHO. Learn to fight the fish with drag, line & rod workin together. Don't try to crank that rascal in. Just lift up the rod and crank while lowering the rod. Keep the rod tip high so the rod can work. When that fish got close to the boat you probably had the rod straight out from the boat and when the fish dove under the boat, your rod went into the water. At that point you lost as the rod was taking all the pressure and not much line out to stretch. Game ova!

Sometimes ya just gotta hold on and let em run a little to tire them out. I use abu 6000 reels and they will hold about 120 yards of 25 test line. Never needed more line. But I have needed less drag! Biggest fish I ever hooked won the contest quick. Had the drag too tight and that fish took off like a freight train. Couldn't slow him down or turn him and he just snapped the line. After that, I keep my drags set lightly.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

IMHO.... If a 16 LB'r broke your rod, it was not up to the task of potential Lavon catfish to begin with; or due to length of service/unnoticed wear & tear was compromised and unsuitable for the task.

As far as setting drag goes, I don't measure it in anyway other than grabbing the line and pulling on it till it starts releasing off my spinning reels to see how it feels. I got a rule of thumb that goes like this "set it where you think it needs to be to keep the line from breaking, and then loosen it a bit more to be safe". If I start fighting a decent fish, and it does not feel loose enough, I will loosen it a bit more.

I always tighten my drag up full prior to casting (keeps my index finger from getting sliced up), and then loosen it back up right after casting and pull on my line and adjust it whilst in my rod holder on the bank. So this is a process that goes on many times while I'm out there. I think all this fumbling with my drag keeps the lubricants spread out on the drag surface and allows it to start turning easier. Once you get the drag to initially start letting out line your usually good to go, but sometimes it's hard to get it going and takes more force to "start-up". Another good reason to keep it a little loose. Also, a short flimsy rod will easily bend so much and so easily, it will  make it more of a battle directly between the reels drag and the fish, and put your line in a situation where it's more likely to break. Longer rods with the right amount of flex (i.e. stiffer) will act as a buffer between the fish and the drag and protect the line more...

Top Bottom  

Lunker

IMHO.... If a 16 LB'r broke your rod, it was not up to the task of potential Lavon catfish to begin with; or due to length of service/unnoticed wear & tear was compromised and unsuitable for the task.

As far as setting drag goes, I don't measure it in anyway other than grabbing the line and pulling on it till it starts releasing off my spinning reels to see how it feels. I got a rule of thumb that goes like this "set it where you think it needs to be to keep the line from breaking, and then loosen it a bit more to be safe". If I start fighting a decent fish, and it does not feel loose enough, I will loosen it a bit more.

I always tighten my drag up full prior to casting (keeps my index finger from getting sliced up), and then loosen it back up right after casting and pull on my line and adjust it whilst in my rod holder on the bank. So this is a process that goes on many times while I'm out there. I think all this fumbling with my drag keeps the lubricants spread out on the drag surface and allows it to start turning easier. Once you get the drag to initially start letting out line your usually good to go, but sometimes it's hard to get it going and takes more force to "start-up". Another good reason to keep it a little loose. Also, a short flimsy rod will easily bend so much and so easily, it will  make it more of a battle directly between the reels drag and the fish, and put your line in a situation where it's more likely to break. Longer rods with the right amount of flex (i.e. stiffer) will act as a buffer between the fish and the drag and protect the line more...
Agree with the Rod comment for sure. This particular rod was probably not up for the task of a bigger fish. Slowly buying new rod/reels to replace some of what I got. This one in particular was at least 30 years old, storage shed kept, not fished with for over 15 years until 2 years ago. So good lessons all around, need to accelerate getting right equipment. I have 2 more rods that I know are probably ok up to about 15-20 lbs, then I may be in trouble. And, never fished bigger cats before, so need to learn to work drag properly. All part of what makes this great. Learn something new almost every time out.
Funny story, I obviously salvaged the reel and put it on a medium rod I had laying around (not good for big ones either). Ran out of bait (I don't like to take more than I think I will use) so I  just set rods a little haphazardly in boat to drive back to my "bait spot". On my second cast, I noticed rods were pretty close to my net during the throw (can you see it coming?). Did nothing about it, and on third throw, needed the combo of reel from PB and new rod and chunked it into 4 feet of water. Floated like a brick.
Dinked around for about 30 minutes trying to retrieve it, no luck...
Guess the catfish gods required a total sacrifice of the rod and reel from PB to be appeased. They got one more rod to boot. Not terrible, again REALLY old equipment and probably not suited or what I am after. Gives me good excuse to go spend a little to upgrade Smiley

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: