Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 01:11:12 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Need some advise!!  (Read 865 times)
Minnow

What's up guys I'm new to the forum although I have been keeping up with it for quiet a while now lol I'm loving all the valuable info you guys post! I am looking for a little help though, I have been out a couple nights a week for the past few weeks trying to find some of these cats and just can't seem to find them.. I have mainly fished around the rocks on 380 or around the power plant. does anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't have to be a secret spot or anything just looking for help on which bait has been working best, rather to fish somewhat shallow or deeper. Anything would be greatly appreciated!! I usually try and catch live shad to use as bait and at times it has worked alright. So again, any advise would be very well appreciated! Thanks guys

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Not a pro at this by a long shot. Some of these guys PB's make mine look like a minnow (so far 11lber is my best!). Have only been at this almost a year and almost all of that in pretty much same general are of lake (Highland park from bridge on south to creek entrances area in the north). Shad is by far and away the best bait I have had any luck with. Tried some shrimp I had a bag left over, gizzards, night crawlers and a few of the over the counter baits (dough bait, blood...). Further north I seemed to get a few more channel cats. And they hit the gizzards OK. Sometimes I drop some noodle jugs here and there. Depending on my schedule, shad can be tough to get. If I can hit the ramp early, usually will have some bait pretty quick. If I wait until later, then I boat around a few spots near shore north of ramp that I can usually find some. If not, gizzards it is. Bank guys will tell you shad with wind in the face is probably most written advice I have seen (other than TOW-time on water). I'm still working it out myself. Been skunked a few times. Sandies kept hitting my bait earlier this year, no skunk, but wrong species. I just keep plugging away, paying my dues, and hoping one day to land a big one!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Cwig this time of year can be tricky so don't sweat it.  All my info is from a bank fishing perspective and for Blue Cats. If bottom fishing I'd avoid deep(er) water as the thermocline starts to kick in. This produces low oxygen in the deeper water and  limits prospects.  Try to find water 10' ft or less and pick a good windy night. Threadfin shad will catch fish but are trickier to keep on the hook so you need to check bait way to often. If you can get them, Gizzard shad are bit easier to fish and stay on the hook better. Blugill type members of the sunfish family are good also, as is common carp. BluGill can often be procured from ponds, and if you don't luck into a carp with your cast net, they can often be found at Asian supermarkets, but make sure you get common carp (sometimes they list it as "yellow carp") and not other types of carp that are not native to our waters. Buffalo and Drum can work too but I have had better luck with the previous 3 mentioned than those 2. I've also heard of others using chicken breast with some success but have never tried it myself.

If you do go on a windy night, you'll need sinkers heavy enough to hold bottom/stay put. Stay with it and you'll have success. Don't sweat not catching now. Just look here and on TFF and you won't see much "catching" being posted right now.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Personal Best 51lb. Blue

What Lou said, and especially don't give up!  Here is a song for inspiration.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:52:03 PM by bradthefisherman

-------------------------
I now believe that fishing is far more important than catching fish.
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Awesome advise guys I really appreciate it! Went out last night and ended up with 4 decent size channels. We were getting bites almost all night but they never really seemed to hit it and go! Was still a fun night anyways! Thanks again for the tips

Top Bottom  
Minnow

I'm new to the forum, and somewhat new to fishing Lavon myself.  I have to admit nothing I know is working.  I grew up in Little Rock, AR and mostly fished the river and lakes around the river.  Probably seems obvious that fishing moving water is different...at least it is for me because nothing has worked for me.  Baits, rigs, depths, all of it is different.  I feel like I'm learning fishing all over again.  Even bass are tough on that lake.  I've only caught a few and I'm no novice with bass.  Crappie is sort of the same, although i've not really fished them hard yet but am about to.  I've fished catfish from the bank and a boat, not much success with either.  I fished dams on the Arkansas, near the gates and have landed massive catfish.  well that hasn't worked on Lavon...most likely due to lack of moving water.  

Oh well, I welcome the challenge.  Feels like I'm learning all over again.  Good luck.  I'll be posting often good or bad....hope you do the same.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I used to think I could catch catfish almost anywhere.Many times I picked my spots with binoculars.
Many times I went catfishing and caught channels when most were getting skunked.
Then I hit Lavon. You would have thought I'de never been catfishing in my life.  Nothing I knew would hook a blue.
I mean I tried all my tried and true.
Fishing for blues instead of channels is about as different as fishing for crappie and stripers.
Like Lou and Dave said...fresh shad is best. wind in your face. lots of t.o.w. forget about an easterly  or dead calm.
When I go chasing blues I take up to 10 rods. usually only catch fish on 3 or 4. the others just use bait.
my favorite rig is the santee cooper rig using an 8/0 circle hook.
if water is being released at dam fish will turn off
welcome to Lady Lavon

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: