Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 09:34:34 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Need help  (Read 2045 times)
Minnow

So i haven't been catfishing at lake lavon in quite some time and i was wondering if anybody could give me some tips. like what bait to use and what time

Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:40:29 PM by bassmaster479
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Pretty tight lipped group of folks on here who apparently don't think there are enough catfish to go around. I'm still learning Lavon and have only fished it a few times, but have been pretty lucky most of the time. Shad is all I use. That is the main source of food for the big blues in Lavon, so you can't go wrong using it. As far as times go, I caught fish there at all times of the day and night. So, I couldn't tell you when is the best time. I always say, if I've got a line in the water, I've got a chance on any given day. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Don't think we have a tight lipped group. The heyday of this forum seems to have past. A lot of folks have moved on to social media for their fishing fix and the forum is not as monitored by the remaining folks as often as in years past as well. I bank fish so can't help much from a boaters perspective. I don't fish for channel cats (at least not on purpose) so won't be recommending stinkbait.

For Blues from The Bank-
Wind in your face or as close to it as you can get. Wind is especially important when it gets hot out as it helps oxygenate the water and allow the fish to be more active.
----------------------------------------
Cut bait- Gizzard Shad, Carp, and Bluegill type members (to numerous to try and name 'em all) of the sunfish family work best or me. Other non-game fish work as well but will use those aforementioned 3 before I use any other. Have heard some folks have love for Buffalo. I've caught fish on it, but it's not my favorite. I'm not a big fan of threadfin shad from the bank as it's high maintenance. These days, I'd take carp strips above all of 'em as carp is so easy to fish...
The fish can get a little tough to catch while spawning which will be soon. May through June is my least productive time to catch fish. If you are gonna fish when it gets hot, fish shallower (<10Ft) areas of the lake on windy nights.  At cooler times of the year the fish can be more spread out and more available during daytime as well.

If you have good bait out fairly regularly, your bound to run in to some decent (i.e. large) fish. Make sure you have gear that can handle a decent fish, and no, the gear does not have to be expensive but you do have to know how to use it. Enjoy your fishing and good luck.

Erbeman, try not to think to harshly on the folks still here. We've answered this question many, many, many times. The next 100 that ask ask it will be your turn to answer, lest you be accused of thinking there's not enough to go around.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

If you look back at all the past threads in the CATFISH FORUM you will see tons of information.. As Lou has stated.. Lots of info sharing goes on in this section and others as well.. Don't be afraid to use the Search option as well to find info..
Welcome to the Forum !!!

Top Bottom  

Minnow

These days, I'd take carp strips above all of 'em as carp is so easy to fish...
How do you fish for carp?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I catch them in the cast net when throwing for bait every now and again. If time is an issue and you can't throw the net, they can often be found in ice at an Asian supermarket...

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Erbeman, try not to think to harshly on the folks still here. We've answered this question many, many, many times. The next 100 that ask ask it will be your turn to answer, lest you be accused of thinking there's not enough to go around.

At the time I replied to the post, it showed like 85 folks had read his post and nobody replied to him. So it had plenty of folks see it. Good on you for replying, but I've gone back through so many of the posts on this website and there is little sharing of information. It seems to be more of a bragging board to show your catches. I guess I wish I would have found this site back in the day when it had more posts.

BTW, I totally agree with you on the carp. I caught one in my throw net a few weeks ago and I sliced him up into 1 inch thick steaks. The skin is so tough it will stay on the hook forever!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Plenty of information on this forum . Like Ranger mentioned, search option works great .
 You can look back at previous years reports with similar conditions as a reference.
Reports usually give a water depth and bait that worked or didn't work , which side of the lake.
Been kinda slow the past couple years and not monitored as much like Lou mentioned.
I like seeing the fishing reports . Informs you as to how the fish are biting and can motivate to get out there fishing.
Best way I learned the lake was driving around it a few dozen times with a lake map and/or google maps on hand. You'll see many areas to fish from the bank and areas where you can hike down to the bank. Looking back , a lot of the fun was discovering new spots to fish and trying them out to see how they worked or not.
Have been fishing 5-10ft mainly since late January and it has been hit or miss but gives up a good day from time to time.
Good luck out there , plenty of fish on Lavon to be caught!

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I feel the pain of seeing these guys show of the big boys as I have yet to hit on anything over 11 lbs. Plenty of good info I have found on this site, but unfortunately I can't throw one of these guys in the boat with me! I've been stuck to a pattern of highland park. My boat has an old motor on it and my faith in it is lacking. It's been running now for almost a year with no issues, so I need to venture to different places. I live near the North West side, so those are the areas I like to go. I rarely get skunked, but can't seem to find the right combo of depth, location, timing...etc to have a big day like these guys do. Just keep plugging away. Have to say, even if I never pull in a 20, 30 or more lber, I will still be out there. To me (and I usually go alone if Grandson is busy), the peace and solitude make up for it.
Agree on the bait statements. I have had minimal luck on anything but cut (or whole if tiny) shad. Have not tried the carp thing, but do agree shad will fly off hook if a really try to reach a distance from boat. It is good to hit a school of larger shad. They last a long time if I can net a group. May swing by and do the carp thing.
Biggest thing for me is ability to get in water. Wind around 15mph and its tough by your self. Once out there I am OK, but it bangs my boat up trying to launch and load by myself! But of course the windy days are the best!!

Top Bottom  

Minnow

Best way I learned the lake was driving around it a few dozen times with a lake map and/or google maps on hand. You'll see many areas to fish from the bank and areas where you can hike down to the bank. Looking back , a lot of the fun was discovering new spots to fish and trying them out to see how they worked or not.

If I had a quarter for every time I've driven around the back neighborhoods of Lake Lavon (or jumped closed gates) with Google Map in hand.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

If I had a quarter for every time I've driven around the back neighborhoods of Lake Lavon (or jumped closed gates) with Google Map in hand.
Sounds like you've got the lake figured out then , although no need to jump closed gates when COE has openings in the fences all around the lake .

Top Bottom  

Lunker

You can find carp on most days if not sold out in Plano, either at 99 Ranch Market which is on the north west corner of Spring Creek and 75 or H-Mart which is located on the north east corner of Ave K and Parker Rd.  However my bait of choice is perch that I catch at my local neighborhood pond.

Top Bottom  

Minnow

Sounds like you've got the lake figured out then , although no need to jump closed gates when COE has openings in the fences all around the lake .

I dont know that I have it figured out; and I definitely did not know about the holes in the fences.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

I dont know that I have it figured out; and I definitely did not know about the holes in the fences.
Yes sir, there are designated access openings all around the lake.  There are usually wooden posts where the openings are .

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

At the time I replied to the post, it showed like 85 folks had read his post and nobody replied to him.

For future reference I would like to know how many views are considered acceptable before a reply is given?  icon_question
But seriously when most folks post they usually give water depth,sometimes wind direction or water temp and bait used. If anybody wants any more info than that then they're most likely out of luck.
And yes there is a crazy amount of information not only on this forum but the Texas Fishing forum and many other websites as well.
All that being said I would like to take this opportunity to brag about the 34# I caught today on a drum strip in 10 to 12 fow. Wind was from the south. Not sure of the water temp. It felt fairly cool but once you were in neck deep it wasn't so bad. icon_lol

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: