Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2018, 04:05:12 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
new to catfishing  (Read 1343 times)
Minnow

I'm new to this and have a feeling I'm doing it all wrong.  We went out to clear lake park and tried to catch some off the shore with commercial bait the other day.  Then I started googling and got some ideas but I feel like I need some experts to guide me.  I don't have a boat so I'm interested only in fishing from the shore.  I'm thinking about using throw lines and anchoring them to trees, and using chicken liver or cut up pieces of carp from the Chinese supermarket for bait.  I'm too lazy to try to catch shad right now.  for lines I got some set line string at academy and I figured I'd tie 2 or 3 hooks to each one and put a few ounces of weight on the end.  I'm confused about that though because I have seen plans where they say to use 1 hook each and one ounce sinkers as weights, and other plans where people are using bricks and bench weights.  How much weight at the end of a throw line is necessary?  how taught does it need to stay?  is the plan of using livers and cut fish as bait reasonable?  What's the best park to do this? I was thinking of going out on a Friday evening and just staying until midnight or so.  Is that reasonable?

Top Bottom  

Lunker

For easy bait use chicken liver or night crawlers.

I use a 3oz weight and one hook with 20lb line.

Little Ridge park is a good spot to start. Don't litter and make sure you have a license as the game wardens occasionally stop by.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Try the rig in the attachment with your bait of choice. A lot of people on this forum wade out as far as possible, then throw the rod and use open bail back to the shore. Get some good rod holders or make your own, and wait for the action. Good luck!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

T-wok 30#

Net chad put the wind in your face and have at it

-------------------------
Cooncrazy1

A little slime never hurt anyone.
Alot is even better
Top Bottom  

Minnow

You need live bait man; grab yourself a cheap net at Walmart.  If you want to catch easy bait, stop at a local pond; they are always stocked full of perch.  Worst case scenario, you can throw the net out for shad while your lines are out trying to catch fish.  Unless you are too busy pulling them in, of course.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Try the rig in the attachment with your bait of choice. A lot of people on this forum wade out as far as possible, then throw the rod and use open bail back to the shore. Get some good rod holders or make your own, and wait for the action. Good luck!

Kes s that you??

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: