Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2017, 04:52:21 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Newbie question  (Read 1579 times)
Minnow

First, I want to thank whoever is responsible for creating this forum.

I am relatively new to Texas and will be fishing Lavon tomorrow for the first time. This will be my first time on the lake and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some tips for finding crappie this time of year. I assume they are in the shallows right now. I have a pontoon and my preferred crappie fishing method is tightlining with minnows, but I'm not opposed to other avenues such as jigs. Any and all help would be appreciated. Since I live in Fate, I am planning on launching at Lavonia.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Try jigs in timber
8' then 10', then 12' etc. til u find them

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Thank you!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

You bet.
Also try "Hancock's Guide Service" on FB.
Or any guide post.

Or TFF - Jerry will usually graciously post depth and structure on Lavon. He guides/fishes for crappie 3-4+ times per week on lavon.

Like this one...
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12183696/Lavon#Post12183696

Good luck out there!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Also, be sure and check the wind forecast. That will dictate where you can fish.
Mallard Cove has a ramp and is generally protected from all directions and has all depths to fish.

McKinney aviation website is usually very accurate.
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?sta=KTKI&model=avn&state=TX&Submit=Change+Location

I would not want to be out there on Saturday...    icon_rolleyes icon_frown icon_mrgreen

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Texexp/01%20-%20Jan-June%202017/7E4FDC5A-8DB6-4A0D-9CDA-0B76C9DE1191_zpsgpmaaikg.jpg
Newbie question

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Thanks everyone...I went on Thursday and didn't get on the lake until late (11:30am). I ended up fishing the rocks around the RR tracks and did quite well. They were in as little as 2' of water, but those were small. I caught quite a few that were 12" and one 13", those seemed to be in about 4'. The jig of choice was a white and chartreuse. I went up to the 380 bridge and looked around too, that seemed like a good spot too, though I didn't fish it.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Wow, nice going.

That's a long run from Mallard to 380.
You're brave.   icon_mrgreen 

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

12, 7oz---PB...Good fishing to you!!!!

Long Run to 380:  Better watch the wind as you will have some rough water and a few stumps along the way,  Be safe on that long ride!!!

Top Bottom  
Minnow

It was a little choppy, but not bad. I have a 24' tritoon with a 150, so it takes some pretty good whitecaps to make it miserable. I followed a bass boat up there that appeared to know the creek channel and then made it a route on my GPS for future trips. I'm looking forward to return sometime this week.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Welcome to the Forum. I spend about half my time in Fate as that is where my girlfriend lives. Nice little community. If you take 66 and then the road that goes through Nevada to hit 78 there is a nice little café on the left. Right by the silos. Great food and cheap!

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Welcome to the Forum. I spend about half my time in Fate as that is where my girlfriend lives. Nice little community. If you take 66 and then the road that goes through Nevada to hit 78 there is a nice little café on the left. Right by the silos. Great food and cheap!

Thank you and thanks for the heads up, I'll stop in there!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

It was a little choppy, but not bad. I have a 24' tritoon with a 150, so it takes some pretty good whitecaps to make it miserable. I followed a bass boat up there that appeared to know the creek channel and then made it a route on my GPS for future trips. I'm looking forward to return sometime this week.

icon_mrgreen

Yep ,that's key. Especially with the lake getting low.
Glad you have the trail. It's still worth going slow where it necks down. There are gnarly/nasty stumps between Lokey's and Elm Creek boat ramp cove.
Also, you gotta know where to cross the levee. Sounds like u got it.   icon_cool 

Tritoon's rock!
 Did you buy "young Cat's" Ryan's?

Top Bottom  
Minnow

icon_mrgreen

Yep ,that's key. Especially with the lake getting low.
Glad you have the trail. It's still worth going slow where it necks down. There are gnarly/nasty stumps between Lokey's and Elm Creek boat ramp cove.
Also, you gotta know where to cross the levee. Sounds like u got it.   icon_cool 

Tritoon's rock!
 Did you buy "young Cat's" Ryan's?

Yeah, I could tell it was a bit dicey passing the shallow point (I think Elm Creek Park). I was born and raised in Oklahoma and have only been in Texas 5 years (though my dad and I fished Texas lakes for a lot of years), so as I said earlier, I have a lot to learn about the area lakes. It took a lot of years to comfortably run Oklahoma lakes WFO at night, and that was with a flasher depth finder...lol....So yeah, I will be taking it easy for a while. But technology has definitely made it easier. I've always had bass boats and this is my first "toon"...I thought it's time to slow down in my old(er) age. Besides, I don't bass fish anymore anyways. I was ready to buy a new "toon" when I found a 3 year old used one on Boats.com up in Tulsa that is outfitted nearly exactly the same as the one I was about to order (at a substantially lower price! LOL! I'm thinking about heading back to Lavon on Friday....

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Friday should be beautiful. Wish I could get out.

We will be heading back to Lake Tawakoni looking for more of these.   icon_mrgreen   icon_cool 
Striper from last Saturday.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Texexp/01%20-%20Jan-June%202017/4-7-17%20Twak%20Striper%20-%2025%20inches_zpsiqwymo3q.jpg
Newbie question

Good luck to ya!

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: