Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 09:26:47 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Lavon Lake Update  (Read 5395 times)
Lunker

All -

The last 18 months or so has been extremely rough on the infrastructure at Lavon Lake with 3 floods, a tornado, and a major hail storm.  Courtesy docks were destroyed.  Roads and parking lots were inundated and damaged due to wave action and supersaturation.  Roofs were damaged due to wave action and/or hail.  Utility systems were damaged and debris was scattered around the lake and washed up on shore.  The events that caused these damages were successive, compounding the issue.  As one event cleared, we began prioritizing and executing work to repair the facilities only to see another event negate that planning/work and exacerbate the damages.

Most of the debris cleanup and smaller general repair projects have been completed.  Two courtesy docks were replaced at East Fork and Lavonia South last week and we anticipate having two more replaced sometime this winter.

Also, we requested and received some special funding this summer and are nearing award of a contract that will repair 13 asphalt projects around the lake of which East Fork Park is the top priority.  While some of the projects consist of roads, the majority consist of repairs to boat ramp parking lots and turn-arounds at the top of the boat ramps.  We’re not sure yet if the repairs will begin this Fall or early next Spring, but should definitely be complete by the end of the summer, provided there are no more disasters impacting the facilities.

I want to take a moment to manage expectations on what that means.  This doesn't mean brand new roads and parking lots.  The funding provided is designed to bring the facilities back up to their pre-disaster level.  Those sections that were damaged by the floods and accepted as part of the packages will be brought back up to a functional level.  For example, in East Fork Park, part of the main boatramp, part of the marina boatramp, and the three bad sections of the main camping loop will be repaved.  Much of the other damage was pre-existing and as such didn’t qualify for the program, but we will continue working to get all facilities up to a sustainable standard as quickly as resources are available.

I want to thank each of you for your patience as we have worked through the host of challenges that have impacted Lavon Lake over the last 18 months.  Some of those challenges have forced us to close areas for extended periods to protect the public, to protect the resources/infrastructure, or both.  We will continue working to provide as much access as possible to the public and appreciate any feedback you care to share.

v/r,

Ranger Perrin

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Thanks Ranger Perrin for the update. I know lots of folks are interested in the road repairs at East Fork and the opening of the ramps!  icon_biggrin

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Thank you Ranger Perrin for the update.  As a new north Texan who just started fishing on Lake Lavon it is very nice to see a Ranger on the lake coming here to share this information and to see that work is being done to improve parts of the lake.  Will try my best to do my part and keep lavon clean and safe.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Maybe we can put together several volunteers to work at east fork to get the shoreline open to public by spring.
Any volunteers??
I would buy a yearly pass If I could use East Fork.

Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:48:08 PM by Sawdust48
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

. If its money or workers I'm sure people will help.

Whats second place?lolol

Top Bottom  
Lunker

All -

Repair of the parking lots and roads is set to begin soon!  Because of the nature of the work, this will require closing the affected facilities while repairs are being made.  We'll keep adding to this post as each facility is affected so you will know where they are working and can adjust where you launch.  We understand that changing ramps will be a short-term, small inconvenience for some of you.  We appreciate your patience as we have worked through getting the funding, executing the contract, and now moving into repairs. 

Again, we want to manage expectations.  Please understand, this is not a complete repaving of facilities.  It only covers repairing the portions of the facilities damaged by the flooding back to their pre-flood condition. 

v/r,
Ranger Perrin

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

"Please understand, this is not a complete repaving of facilities.  It only covers repairing the portions of the facilities damaged by the flooding back to their pre-flood condition."

If they re-pave the road at East Fork Park to the pre-flood condition are they going to put big potholes in it so that it is the same as it was pre-flood?  icon_lol icon_lol

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Any plans for Avalon Park ?
The road in there was pretty bad last summer.

Thanks,
HT

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Thanks for the update on repairs.  At least there is a plan to bring the facilities up to useable standards rather than letting them further deteriorate. 
With all the population growth in the area it will also help to have more parks and ramps available.

I'm looking forward to be able to use East Fork again.  The ramp in the marina cove seemed to be the best one to use in a North or South wind.

It was also nice to see a useable courtesy dock at Lavonia South.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Good to see that the repairs will be happening soon - thanks for the update

Top Bottom  
Lunker

All -

Repairs are progressing at East Fork Park.  Provided the weather holds and there are no hiccups in the construction, that should be complete within the next few weeks. 

We do expect to be able to open the main boat ramp after the repairs.  We do not have a definitive date for when that will be, but we will post it here and on the USACE website as soon as it is available for use.

Part of the effort at East Fork includes repairs to both boat ramps.  Because the road into the marina ramp is still in terrible condition, the marina ramp will not open even after this round of repairs is complete.  The portion of the marina ramp impacted by the flood and thus covered by the repair monies, did not include the road.  We are working a contract to execute those repairs but that is not a quick process. 

Moving forward, the contractor will be working in Mallard Park.  You may have noticed that it closed on Friday.  Because of where the repairs are being made, the whole park has to close temporarily.  It will remain so until those repairs are complete.

v/r,
Ranger Perrin

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Does the East Fork repairs include fixing and opening the restroom at the top of the Marina ramp?  

Top Bottom  
Minnow

I'm assuming the marina ramp is the one closest to where the slips are, if so that's a bummer, was looking forward to a quick walking distance to the boat when I launch the jetskis. Looking forward to at least one of the ramps opening!
Thanks for the update.
I saw this post if anyone wants additional info.
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/Notice%20to%20Campers.pdf

Top Bottom  
Lunker

All -

We will be closing Little Ridge Park on 18 May 17 at 8:00 am to prepare for the asphalt repair work in that park.  Please make sure that your vehicles are off the ramp and out of the park before that.  Vehicles in the park at 8:00 am on the 18th are subject to towing at owner's expense.

We understand that this is a very popular ramp adjacent to good fishing and calmer water.  Because of the damages done to the ramp by the floods, there isn't a way to keep the ramp open and execute the repairs at the same time.  As such, the ramp and park will have to be closed.  We are working to minimize interruptions to access and look forward to the repairs being completed soon.

Thank you for your help and understanding,
Ranger Perrin

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

icon_biggrin  Thanks for postin this Ranger . was you the one that wrote the sign at the courtesy dock  icon_cool . sounds like the exact words i read saturday ..

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: