Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2018, 11:39:57 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Motor hard to start then dies  (Read 1730 times)
Minnow

I have a 1995 115HP 2 stroke Evinrude that has become hard to start and when it does it dies after a minute or so when it runs out of fuel. I can keep it running if I pump the bulb.  I assume I have a fuel pump or maybe a check valve problem but would like to confirm the issue before replacing anything  Any suggestions on what else could be the issue or how to narrow it down further?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

sounds like a fuel pump, as it fuel in the bowl in the carb is getting used up but nothing getting pumped back into it. Sound like you have it narrowed down as you can keep it running if you manualy pump the primer bulb.

There are rebuild kit pretty cheap and easy to install.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Thanks, so you don't think it could be a bad check valve in the primer bulb allowing gas to flow back into the tank?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

Thanks, so you don't think it could be a bad check valve in the primer bulb allowing gas to flow back into the tank?

thats simple enough to check, disconect the output hose going to the carb and divet that hose in a small container to catch any fuel, crank over the motor, if the pump is good then you should get a stream of gas while cranking. If not it the pump.

When you pump the bulb you are pushing fuel past the needle value to the float bowl, when the boat starts running it is only using that fuel until it gets refilled by 1 of the 2 methods. You pump the bulb or the pump pushes fuel.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

I did what you suggested and gas flowed from the pump when I cranked and primed the engine indicating the pump is ok.  I then replaced the bulb and it seems to run fine i.e. it doesn't kill once started.  Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: