Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 09:53:47 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
New to Texas and Lavon - Where can I self launch?  (Read 1952 times)

Lunker

Recently bought a boat and have it stored closed to Collin Park.  Went out there for the first time with a friend (luckily) but quickly realized I didn't see a dock near the ramp.  I ended up picking him up once he parked the truck right at the ramp but didn't see anyplace I could tie off the boat or beach it to park the truck if I was by myself.  Did I just miss it?  How are you guys getting this done?

Also I have already found the forum very interesting and helpful so thank you for sharing.  This is the first boat I have owned and I have never fished for SandBass before so I am learning a lot and looking forward to getting my kids out there catching them soon.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Depends on which ramp you used.  I launched at Lavonia North this morning and there is a floating dock.  You've got to be very careful on this dock - there are metal brackets that most likely held rubber bumpers at one time.  The rubber bumpers are long gone and all that's left is a metal 'v' piece about 3-4" long on each lakeside corner of the dock.  I imagine these would punch right thru the side of a fiberglass or aluminum boat.

There is also a floating dock at Little Ridge Park just south of the ramp by the Garland power plant.  I haven't used this one for a while but it was nice earlier in the year.

If you've got a keel guard you could probably nose the boat onto the ramp as long as you're not impeding any one else trying to launch or recover.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Welcome to the forum!

... and to boat ownership!   icon_mrgreen 

Both Collin ramps have docks.
The south Collin dock is inside the tires with the marina.

Good luck out there!

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Welcome to the forum!

... and to boat ownership!   icon_mrgreen 

Both Collin ramps have docks.
The south Collin dock is inside the tires with the marina.

Good luck out there!

Thanks I thought about driving around the tires to check it out but wanted to get out on the water.  I will go scout the dock before launching this weekend if the weather is good.  Might go out there either way and just check it out and harbor house since I just found out about it on the forum here.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Yessir!
Harbor House is good stuff.  icon_smile   Don't get in any hurry though...   lol

You can still get between the tires and land (shortcut) if you trim your motor up a bit and stay nearer the tires. Watch the cables that hold the tires and you'll be fine.

The lake is dropping, so we won't be able to use it much longer.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

I heard a guy hit the cables this week and started leaking oil from the lower unit.
Careful!

You can always trim all the way up, kill the big  motor and troll through

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I heard a guy hit the cables this week and started leaking oil from the lower unit.
Careful!

You can always trim all the way up, kill the big  motor and troll through

I am being so careful right now that I think I will just go around but thanks for the tip.  May try it when I am more comfortable wiht the boat and the area.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Got to agree with Bshaw27 - it's not that far around the tires to the dock and the shortcut isn't worth the risk of a damaged prop or lower unit.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

I spend all my time in the trees way up on the north end.  There are so many widowmakers at, or near, the water line, between the ramps and the fish, you don't dare go much faster than idle.  Last weekend, I high-centered on something when using a trolling motor.  It took me 10 minutes to get free.  Have also seen several steel barbed-wire t-posts sticking up.  Be careful out there.  With the lake as low as it is, and still dropping, something bad happening is a great possibility.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

You can self launch at any open ramp.
If you have an aluminum boat or a keel guard you can just pull your boat up on the ramp.
Only a few have a courtesy dock.

** Can anybody confirm that Avalon is Friday-Sunday??  ***  I've heard of boats launching there.

COE website:

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Texexp/01%20%20%20%20%20-%20July%20-%20Dec%202016/Lavon%20Ramps_zpsfp7qvcwj.png
New to Texas and Lavon - Where can I self launch?

Good luck!

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Avalon is open on weekends.  No fee No courtesy dock 

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: