Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2018, 02:09:54 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Denison Dam tonight  (Read 4505 times)
Lunker Extreme

I saw where they were going to stop generating at 8:00 tonight so I took my tube and fly rod hoping to catch anything (hey, I'm not proud, I'll even be happy with catfish  icon_eek). I got on the water at 8:00 and fished for about 45 minutes when I saw fish busting the top by the dam. I flippered over there and the stripers were still schooling. I ended up with four, two of them were 5#ers. I missed about 10 more strikes and had 3 come unbuttoned before I could get them to hand. They schooled near the dam for about 45 minutes until they moved downstream and the action ended. Sorry, no pics because it's hard to take pics of nice stripers in a tube at night.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Good trip there my friend

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

WTG Cliff!    That sounds like a lot of fun. 5 lb stripers on a fly rod... in a float tube... at night! Now THAT'S sporty!

U R da tubin' MAN!   lol

Although, OG might be giving you competition with his barefoot searching technique for submerged timber and "poor man's power poles".  lol    icon_mrgreen

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Last night I went back again and got on the water just after they turned the generators off. Immediately the stripers started busting shad on top in the middle of the river. I caught the 5.2# one below then. They were only up for 2-3 minutes, then went down. Fifteen minutes later they came up again in the same place for a couple of minutes but went down again and never came back up. About an hour later I caught the crappie near the dam but that was it for the evening.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/cliffhilbert/IMG_0102_zps4kwfb8yc.jpg
Denison Dam tonight

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Went Saturday to Denison Dam. Was a tough go but did catch and release a couple of Carp as well as hook into two nice Striped Bass! Got some actions of stripes hitting on the surface, too. Also, was good to know the road to the Dam is open again on the Texas side. Posted a video in Vlog #5 - "Local Ponds and Denison Dam". Has other fishing video in it; can skip to 1:03 to see the Denison Dam video.

-------------------------
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

They now seem to be on a regular schedule of turning on the water at 12:40 pm and turning it off at 5:00 pm on weekdays. The stripers are beginning to school some beginning around noon, but they really turn on when the siren blows signalling the start of generating. They will stay up busting the top for 20-30 minutes and you can have a lot of fun fishing from shore on the Texas side during that time period because they are schooling right next to the shore. Sometimes they will also feed on top right after they turn the water off. They will hit topwater pencil poppers with abandon while they are schooling! I think the siren causes a vibration in the water which causes the shad to start moving and the stripers are ready and waiting for them. Get up there and have some fun, guys!!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Had fun again at Denison Dam using the Switch Rod for Striped Bass this past Saturday. Mainly little Striped Bass but did get one Keeper! Video.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Cliff's da Man 

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Had fun again at Denison Dam using the Switch Rod for Striped Bass this past Saturday. Mainly little Striped Bass but did get one Keeper! Video.

Made it back to Denison today. One Keeper Striper! Still working on the video. Sidetracked for now... gotta watch the football versus edit video. Pictures.

Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:17:44 PM by fshn84

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Sunday morning I went back to Dennison Dam and although it was a rather slow day I caught a few small stripers, 6" -8", one 3# drum and one 4-14 striper. I foul-hooked a threadfin shad and put it on my clouser and cast it out into a hole. Within 30 seconds the line started to move and I set the hook and the fight started. I thought that I probably had a catfish or drum on and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I had a nice striper on.

The smallmouth buffalo were all over the place and I tried to hook some but never could.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Sunday morning I went back to Dennison Dam and although it was a rather slow day I caught a few small stripers, 6" -8", one 3# drum and one 4-14 striper. I foul-hooked a threadfin shad and put it on my clouser and cast it out into a hole. Within 30 seconds the line started to move and I set the hook and the fight started. I thought that I probably had a catfish or drum on and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I had a nice striper on.

The smallmouth buffalo were all over the place and I tried to hook some but never could.

Hi Cliff, I was there too. I was the guy flyfishing from one of the rocks. Managed to how a shad and tried the same; lost it to I think a Catfish that broke my leader. About an hour later, hooked another shad and sent it down the run. Caught a Keeper Striper that went just over 20". Have video but still editing it.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Hi Cliff, I was there too. I was the guy flyfishing from one of the rocks. Managed to how a shad and tried the same; lost it to I think a Catfish that broke my leader. About an hour later, hooked another shad and sent it down the run. Caught a Keeper Striper that went just over 20". Have video but still editing it.

Hosted a Live Stream Q&A using yesterday's video. Had a couple of viewers join live, and had a couple of questions comes our way. Another successful beta test is completed! Video.

Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:53:54 PM by fshn84

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Was a tough go a Denison yesterday but luckily was able to catch a little Striped Bass on a fishing fly and two Catfish with live bait. Did miss lots of others as well. Lotta fun still! Saturday's Video.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Saturday at the dam there were four guide boats all grouped together just inside the old bridge pilings throwing handfuls of shad to try and get the stripers active but they had no luck whatsoever. I didn't see even one striper bust the top after the shad. Even worse was that no one on the boats caught even one striper over 8". Between the four boats and probably 15 customers they might have caught 10 keeper cats but no stripers. I probably caught as many small stripers on the fly from my float tube as all of them did put together. After they all moved downstream I started to catch some cats on a chartruese/white clouser minnow and ended up with 18 keepers. After I had caught 15 they slowed down some so I picked up a few dead shad from the top of the water and put them on the hook of my fly and trolled back and forth across the area where I had been catching the cats. I picked up 3 more cats doing that. Sorry, no pics of the cats.

But the most fun of the day was when I hooked what I thought was a 15-20# catfish which I fought for probably 7-8 minutes. When I finally got it to the top so that I could see it it turned out to be an 8.3# carp that I had foul-hooked on the bottom fin.  Angry  I was ticked! But I must admit that it was fun to fight it.  icon_lol
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/cliffhilbert/IMG_0125_zpshffnonuh.jpg
Denison Dam tonight

Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 07:18:48 PM by Cliff Hilbert
Top Bottom