Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2018, 06:16:37 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
electrical problem causing dead battery  (Read 1336 times)
Lunker

Angry

Something has happened to my boat and I'm getting a dead cranking battery. I have ignition switch/key and a power switch at my dash. When those two are off - nothing in the boat should draw any power. It's been working fine for 5 years and now, I hook up a fully charged brand new battery and then it is completely dead.

Any recommendations on what to check and test to find the problem?

any recommendations for a shop that is great with electrical work that could find the problem?

Please help - I need to get back on the water.

Thanks,
Reggie

Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:51:37 PM by reggier
Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

I have a ski boat so my experience may be a little different.  When my key is off, I can still run radio, exhaust fans and lights.  Radio gets me everytime, in fact it got me 2 weekends ago.  Turned on just a smidge.  You sure nothing like that is on and bypassing your switches?

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Yeah. The power button is off and turns on/off all the electronics.
I've thought maybe the connection to the power switch could be bad or the ignition switch?

Hoping to hear of a good shop that has the knowledge and tools to test and Locate this problem. 

Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

I have used powersports unlimited in Princeton for basic oil changes, lower unit changes, and fixing a cracked thermostat housing.....nothing electrical.  Most of the time they were pretty quick. The lower unit fluid change was slow but I did tell them I wasn't going to use the boat for a few weeks.  I store my boat there so I am inclined to take it there since its already there.  I've never had them do any electrical work.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Take a test lamp put it in line between pos.cable and batt.  Pull one fuse at a time till the light goes out. That will point you in the right direction

Top Bottom  
Lunker

I'm making some progress!
I've traced this down to the alternator on my engine. It's a Mercury 150 four stroke.
The alternator has a positive cable, but also has another small connector. I'm guessing it's a gauge reader or something.
If it's connected, then the positive connection to the alternator is drawing 2.5 amps without any power. Also, the alternator was very hot after a few minutes of battery power to the engine. If I pull the 'gauge reader' the positive connection doesn't show any amps drawing.

So is the problem the alternator or do I need to keep following this 'gauge reader' connector to figure out what it is?

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: