Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 20, 2018, 05:54:18 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
TASF?  (Read 5724 times)

Lunker

Any word of LLFF participating in another event?  I'd like to contribute if it ever happens again.  Not looking to be the organizer but I'm happy to do the grunt work.

-------------------------
Matt
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Any word of LLFF participating in another event?  I'd like to contribute if it ever happens again.  Not looking to be the organizer but I'm happy to do the grunt work.

You organize I'll contribute. icon_mrgreen

Lynden will have one late spring or early summer every year. When I receive email I'll post it up for volunteers.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Lyndee has this event each year usually in May on Lake Ray Roberts. The event last year was cancelled due to high flood waters from the rain. So I suspect this year will be bigger and better!  icon_cool

When these TASF events first started, LLFF sponsored an event at the East Fork pavillion with active duty soldiers and family from Ft Hood and local veterans. It was a huge success. At that event, we were asked to do all the fish fry's for all events. That offer was declined as we were just a small group of folks and simply did not have the volunteers, equipment or avenues of travel that would be needed. Some of the events were as far away as New York. We did have commitments from enough volunteers to support some events, so we said we would do any events within 1.5 hours of Lavon.

Sadly, most of the "volunteers" from that original commitment backed out of the deal. Their reason for non committal was they did not like Mike Nasif who was running TASF. I will be the first to admit that Mike had some serious people problems and severe bouts with PTSD. The second in command of TASF also was aware of the problem and did a great job of intervention!  icon_cool icon_biggrin My response was I didn't care how big a jerk he was as that should have no effect on the giving back a little to the soldiers. Personally I didn't have a problem with Mike but he could be difficult. You just had to understand him, and work around the situation.

Six months later, We were requested by Lyndee to help with the Ray Roberts fish fry. There were three of us that got things together, got fish donated and covered the other costs to get that event done. Luckily, since it was the first year it was small but the word got out. Now soldiers and their families, veterans & families and even some wounded soldiers from Bonham attended these events. Sadly a few wounded would not live to make the next year. These were always "very special" soldiers that volunteers and other soldiers made an extra special effort to make sure they had a fantastic weekend!  icon_biggrin Very humbling experiences.

The next year was 4 times larger! So a group of volunteers from LLFF got together and started doing the fish fry on Saturday which was the main meal. We, LLFF, sponsored this fish fry for 4 years! Smiley We were able to keep this going but each year got more difficult to get volunteers and raise funds to buy the things necessary for the fish fry. Each year the popularity and attendance at the event grew. All the fish was donated each year by LLFF members so that expense was always saved!  icon_biggrin The last year we needed about $750 to Git R Done. That money came in and that fish fry was gonna be for about 350 folks! 

But, that fish fry two years ago was the last fish fry sponsored by LLFF. Mother Nature through us a curve that year with bad weather including tornado and high wind warnings and effected the turnout. These soldiers sleep under the pavilion or on the ground or in tents with their families! So, only half of the expected attendance actually showed up. We still had close to 175 people but not the 350 we expected and had made preparations with food to prepare. All of the left over food did not go to waste. We went through the park and invited others camping in the park to "come on over for the fish fry"!  icon_cool Some came but most did not as they didn't know us. The rest of the food and fish was given to soldiers and veterans who happily put it away in their ice chests.

However, the low turnout and short time frame we were notified about the reduced turnout upset some folks. So the next year, which was two years ago, the interest just wasn't there anymore. Not near enough volunteers. Only four or five from LLFF committed with a definitive count me in attitude. We needed at least twice that many. If you can't get the volunteers there is no reason to even attempt at raising funds.

Sadly,without the volunteers, we could not wait any longer to commit to the event in 2014 as Lyndee needed time to find other people to do the cooking. So in April 2014 we had to advise Lyndee we just couldn't sponsor the event anymore do to lack of interest.

Lyndee was a great sport about this deal and found others to do the fish fry. Since then the TASF, which was based out of Houston I believe, dissolved and Lyndee immediately formed another group locally to keep providing this annual weekend camping, fishing & boating weekend for our nations finest! Smiley

There just doesn't seem to be enuf interest from LLFF to do this deal again. Even the daily posting activity is marginal now.

But if you really want to help at this event, here is Lyndee's contact info. She always needs folks with boats, pontoons are really needed for wheelchair access, money and volunteers to make this event a success! There is a lot of info on facebook also!  icon_biggrin

http://www.randrteamnorthtexas.org/

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Thanks for the info Mr. P.  From your posts, I figured this event was near and dear to you.  I wish I had contributed in the past.  I recently bought a toon and that inspired my inquiry.  It looks like I'm late to the party but I'd still like to show my appreciation.

Matt
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Thanks for the info Mr. P.  From your posts, I figured this event was near and dear to you.  I wish I had contributed in the past.  I recently bought a toon and that inspired my inquiry.  It looks like I'm late to the party but I'd still like to show my appreciation.

Just contact Lyndee and you can still contribute! That toon is in high demand. Some soldiers and families just want a boat ride or being pulled on a tube. Dem toons are perfect for this. Fishing is great too and can be crappie, kitty, bass, sandies whatever and anybody can help. Lyndee is also set up as a 501 c3 so monetary donations are tax deductible. That was another problem we had with donations as they were not tax deductible. But Lyndee has solved that issue! Smiley

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: