Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2017, 07:54:14 AM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Denison Dam update  (Read 6419 times)
Lunker Extreme

They are generating every day now, even weekends, starting at 6:00 am sometimes and 8:00 am other times. According to SWPA the electricity usage is higher in the mornings during cold weather and higher in the afternoons during warm weather, thus the changing generating schedules. However, they are only generating with one unit instead of two, although that still doesn't allow for wading or float tubing. It was fun while it lasted!

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I've been surprised that they are generating so little in the past few weeks at Denison Dam. By watching the SWPA website I've been able to get up there several times in the last two weeks with my float tube and fly rod. The fishing has been very good some days and very spotty other days. Last Saturday I caught 12 stripers up to 3.5#, two big fat sandies and one cat, and missed probably 30 striper hits. Some days I've been lucky to catch more than one striper. There have been plenty of other fly fishers who are catching them wading. Last week I saw one fly fisher who had the only spot in the river where they were biting and he caught three 10lbers, several 4-7lbers and a bunch of others. None of the rest of us caught much at all.

Sunday I got up there before they stopped generation and while waiting for it to end I saw a couple of guys spin casting from the OK shore, I'm not sure what kind of artificial they were using, and they caught one 18# striper and one 15# striper.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

They generated until 9:00 am and started at 4:00 pm, so there was time to get out with my float tube and fly rod and catch some fish. I got there about 10:00 and by 10:30 I caught 3 stripers to 1.5# on a chartruese clouser, but that was the only striper action of the day. About an hour later the sandies started hitting on a blue and white clouser, big sandies! The largest I caught was 17", 2.65#, the next was 16.5", 2.45# - big fat females full of eggs. I caught 10 total, all of them nice ones over 13", along with 2 spotted bass and two big goldeyes. I have pics on my cell phone but have no idea how to transfer them to the forum.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Cliff....  I use my charging cord, plug it into my computer and you should be able to find folders & files.  OR.... use your smart phone to post without the PC.  Thanks for the report.  Spring break is ccoming!!

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/cliffhilbert/IMG_02591_zpskxoxdsrm.jpg
Denison Dam update
, http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/cliffhilbert/IMG_02581_zpskaoa8pxp.jpg
Denison Dam update
, http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/cliffhilbert/IMG_02571_zpsw1r98tfu.jpg
Denison Dam update

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Mighty big!!  Thanks for the pics.  I have a 5 wtg rod and that looks too small.  Could you recommend a spinning rod with flukes? 

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I think a spinning rod with small flukes would work there, but all I do is fly fish so I can't say for certain. A Roadrunner or Mepps Spinner night also work. Most of the stripers have moved from the dam area (the strippers are probably still on Harry Hines, though  icon_lol) but the sandies seem to be thick there right now.

Your 5-wt would work just fine there. I was using a 7-wt, hoping to catch some big stripers, but since they seem to have moved downstream a 5-wt would be okay.

Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:33:33 AM by Cliff Hilbert
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Made it to Texoma with the kayak; opted to fish the lake instead of the tailrace.... Lost one Striper, caught one Striper, and caught one Largemouth Bass... they were feeding nearby and around the kayak several times. But, only able to get the one Striper to stay on the hook! Today's Video.

-------------------------
Top Bottom  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: