Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2018, 06:46:26 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Good and reasonably priced local boat mechanic  (Read 3296 times)

Lunker Extreme

There's nothing wrong with my 2003, 90 HP Mercury outboard, I've been maintaining it myself (changing the fluids, running seafoam through the carbs, changing the water pump, lower unit lube,,, etc... but after 5 years, I want to have a pro do a tune up on it. I know, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but just for a peace of mind and if it's not too expensive I wouldn't mind it...
who do y'all recommend and what price range am I looking at?

Thanks!

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I see!  icon_rolleyes

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Plano marine. Has
Allways done me right

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

who do y'all recommend and what price range am I looking at?

Thanks!
Buy new spark plugs from iboats.com and change em yourself,or pay Plano Marine $1000.00 to do it. icon_eek

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Buy new spark plugs from iboats.com and change em yourself,or pay Plano Marine $1000.00 to do it. icon_eek

icon_lol

I mostly want a good carb work and tune up. I've done the spark plugs and other stuff that I mentioned.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Actually,Plano Marine specializes in Yamaha,and may not even do Mercury work,But across the street is Larry's Marine,who does specialize in Mercury service,and I remember some others on here recommending him in the past...maybe do a search on here for Larry's and see who that was that had been there.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

carbs rebuilt should be around $400

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

I had carbs rebuilt and I wish it was 400.  From what I hear the four strokes are a bit more.  Didn't see in the original post which it was though.  Mine did not have a kit.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

I had carbs rebuilt and I wish it was 400.  From what I hear the four strokes are a bit more.  Didn't see in the original post which it was though.  Mine did not have a kit.

Well Joe come to think about it you may be right. I have a 4 stroke and it cost about $400 for my 60HP but that was 5 years ago! I just noticed the subject line....good & reasonably priced....I think that is an oxymoron statement!  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin I bet it is closer to $500 now.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Several people on here have recommended Randy Barksdale in Farmersville.  I have talked to him a few times but never had work done yet. 469-222-1807

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I have used Larry's Marine over the last three years.  Very good service and honest.  Not sure how much $ for carbs - haven't had that done (yet).  He has always been reasonably priced (if there is such a thing for boat work); and I have always been very happy with the service and results.

Good luck!

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

icon_lol

I mostly want a good carb work and tune up. I've done the spark plugs and other stuff that I mentioned.

2 or 3 years ago I took my 2001 Merc 50 to Martin Outdoor Marine on I-30 in Royse City. Replaced oil resevoir and pump, cleaned all 3 carbs, new plugs, replaced fuel line and bulb due to ethenol  corrosion and tuned it up to where it idled well for the first time since I bought it. Around $800 for everything. Don't know if they are still there, but phone # 903 527-2300.

A day without fishing is a day lost forever!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

I have used Larry's Marine over the last three years.  Very good service and honest.  Not sure how much $ for carbs - haven't had that done (yet).  He has always been reasonably priced (if there is such a thing for boat work); and I have always been very happy with the service and results.
Good luck!

+1

Certified Mercury mechanics. I have used them for 6+ yrs. Much more reasonable and you get your boat back quicker.
Be sure and talk to Larry (owner for 30+ yrs). Brent is a great mechanic... but not high on social skills!   LOL (Somebody had a bad experience there when Larry was out with a dislocated shoulder)

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Good luck!
Same here, I've had good experience with Larry.  Honest and reasonable.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: