Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 04:18:16 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Home made spider rig  (Read 9178 times)
Lunker Extreme

I spent Saturday morning working on this home made spider rig.  It's total cost was $35.00.  I took it out Sunday after church to test it's functionality and it works like a charm.  Only problem . . . I only cought 2 crappie!

I need to figure this trolling thing out, but I will!

[attachment deleted by admin on post older than 730 days ]

-------------------------
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Mark Woods
Top Bottom  

Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

Woods,

I can tell you that the hardest part of trolling is boat control. With as light as the Trackers are it can be a bit hard in the wind. After several hours of it last spring I finally got the hang of it. Whats fun is when you go over a stump or rocks and hang several of your rods at the same time.

ScottB

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Ya, I've already experienced the hang up drill . . . Gota watch that depth finder!  

The other part was sand bass.  I could'nt keep the sand bass off the minnows in order to catch the crappie.

I may have had too big of a sinker . . . I was using a 1 oz to keep it verticle.  I'll experiment with smaller sizes but I wanted to keep it vertical for the first run.

Mark Woods
Top Bottom  

Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

I was fishing in about 12 feet and using 1/2 oz. If you keep your speed down that should be plenty.

Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
Lunker

That setup looks pretty good.  I have my 2 new Bee Ready rod holders waiting to be installed on my new Alumacraft...can't wait to get them on the water  icon_wink

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

1/2 ounce is as small as I go. I'll go up to 1 ounce if it is really windy or if your fishing out the back of the boat.

A good t/m is a must and always go into the wind.

Jerry
Bee Ready Pro Staff
ProAnglerTackle Pro Staff
www.ProAnglerTackle.com
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Can you please email me?  I need some specifics on the material that you used.  Crash8005@hotmail.com.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Home Depot:
2 - 1/2" galvanized pipes 24" long threaded on both ends
1 - 1/2" galvanized pipe 18" long (base) threaded on both ends
1 - 1/2" T
2 - 1/2" caps
1 - 1/2 base mount
6 - rod holders (2.00 each) (can also hold Cool

Total cost = $35.00 . . . verry easy to make!

Mark Woods
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Thanks Woods.  I built it and really like it.  Now if I could just figure out where to target these spider rig fish I will be set!

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Glad I could help and glad you like it!  

I went out Saturday morning spider rig'n and caught a few, marked a ton of fish but only caught a few crappie.  Several NICE White Bass and some catfish and even a nice Black Bass . . . but only a few crappie!

But I learn more each time and I'm confident that I'll figure it out!

Mark Woods
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Woods and Jerry,

When you spider rig what types of structure are you looking for.  I know that in the winter you can target schools of fish but right now what should I be looking for?  Feeder creeks, main creek channels, etc??

Thanks for the help!!

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Ya Jerry . . . what do we look for!?  Jerry obviously has the experience here.  I've been looking for the drop offs along deep water and off of points.  I'm not finding a lot of fish make it into my livewell, but I'm marking a lot on the depth finder.

I'm still learning this technique so don't do what I do!

Mark Woods
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Main lake points and dropoffs. I been fishing 18-25' but they were  deeper last week.  YOu can catch some in 30'.

Jerry
Bee Ready Pro Staff
ProAnglerTackle Pro Staff
www.ProAnglerTackle.com
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Mark, I like your spider rig. I have have built a few and I use the same rod holders you did. But where did you buy them for $2? I usually pay twice that much. Thanks, Ed

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Academy sports have them on sail for $2.30 each.  I only uste the holder part, I purchased lag bolts and wing nuts that were stronger from The Home Depot.  I like this type because they are curved and can be adjusted for rod lingth, I like to have my rod tip just about 12" above the surface of the water to keep the wind from playing a factor.

But again . . . not catching a lot of crappie with this technique . . . but I will!

Mark Woods
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: