Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 06:36:44 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Pontoon boat catfishing  (Read 2095 times)

Lunker Extreme

I have an opportunity to purchase a 04 21 ft sun tracker fishing barge signature series. Never catfished from one. So i was looking to get some advise on yall that do thought about it. Pros Cons. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also any ideas on what kind of pole holder system to look into. 

-------------------------
Fishing is more than catching fish,
Its bein with Dad.
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Plenty of room, handles big water well, you are on the water not in the water.  Bee ready rod holders.  Only con I think is maybe hard to handle by yourself so never go alone.  That's a good rule anyway.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

My buddies fish from a toon.  Lots of room for rods and gear and great to have people on board and lounge.  Handles waves great and a dry ride.  Can be a challenge if you are launching alone.  We have boated a lot of fish on that boat, for the most part not to hard.  The day after thanksgiving we hit texoma and my buddy landed a massive catfish, there is a thread somewhere on here about it....IT WAS TOUGH getting a 40+ pound fish in the boat.  One dude bent down over the side to hold onto the fish, a dude holding on to him, and someone on the trolling motor. As said before, you are on top of the water, not in it.  

Here is the fish that was a mega pain boating
http://forum.lakelavonfishing.com/index.php/topic,24497.0.html

Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:37:35 PM by MikeNTX
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I am getting it all excited. We are planning on getting a slip at Collin marina for now. So I want have to worry about loading and loading on to a trailer for now. It looks like the wife has pretty much decided we are doing this so now just to get the rite electronics and pole holders. Thanks for the input!!! Hope to have in the water Saturday morning

Its bein with Dad.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

You will like it...forsure.  icon_mrgreen

We have one and have it back on the water...a nice place to hang out.

Your going to need a couple big anchors to hold it in place. I can't think and any cons once you get it on the water. pleanty of pros icon_biggrin

Pole holders: I have bee readys and a couple home made ones, they all work great. I just took a couple pieces and of strip metal and sandwhich them on the rod then mount your holder.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I LOVE fishin out of my toon...Cant wait to get it back in the slip when we get a little more water back in there. I had removed all the mounted seats in the front half of mine and just used a couple of folding lawn chairs that could be placed wherever needed,and whenever needed...Rod holders all around,plenty of elbow room...Now THAT'S luxury fishin! The only CON is, mine is a 25 ft,with extended transom,plus the motor,so approx 28 ft of HARD TO NAVIGATE thru the sticks,But a trolling motor added to the front will help with steering thru tight places. A 21 ft would be a little easier than mine I think,but still could use a trolling motor. icon_cool

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Flathead R&R Lake Record Holder

Only cons are trailering it around and you don't set the water on fire going from spot to spot.  I really like fishing out of mine.

Records are made to be broken...
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Well its done. Proud owner of a 04 Sun Tracker Fishing barge. I went down today and got a slip at Collin Marina. I appreciate all the input and look forward to the other side of fishing, been a bank fisher for about 6 years on Lavon. Anyone else dock at Collin Marina I am on D. Look me up. Thanks again for all the info.

Its bein with Dad.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

Yep I'm on A.

If you have not pulled the trigger on the anchors I can provide a # to a guy that made my box anchors, think they were 75 each

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Take a trip with captain larry, he'll show you how to set that pontoon up!

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: