Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2018, 06:26:02 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Hello!!!! New Yaker here.  (Read 2126 times)
Minnow

I've been lurking on this forum for a few days, so let me introduce myself....

My name is Nathan... but you can just call me Nate. I live in Rockwall, and have always loved fishing since I was a young un. Over the years, I've been really getting into crappie fishing. I'm no pro... but I've fished in a couple of tournaments... not for the top prize, but more for the enjoyment of the sport. It's the thrill of the hunt.

I don't own a boat, as I can't justify the expense, and more so, I honestly don't have room to park one where I live. However, I found that if I kick my wife's Tahoe out of the garage, I can, in fact, store a kayak in the garage.  icon_razz  Lucky me.

I've read a lot over the last few days, and I suppose I'm a fortunate person.... as I live right across the street from the lake.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/Nater73/001_zps571a92e3.jpg
Hello!!!! New Yaker here.

After talking to a buddy of mine, he suggested that I get a yak instead of spending the cash on a real boat. So the current ad from Bass Pro showed a nice looking yak made by Ascend for a reasonable $549. It looked good enough, and the price was fair, so I made my way there.... and met Tommy.

Having absolutely NO experience with a kayak, he showed me the in's and out's of one, and with his professional experience, he really liked this new model that they got in. So that pretty much sold me on this one. Being 12', it's large enough to navigate, and my 220 lb backside can comfortably fit in it too. So after  buying everything I needed for the introductory yak'er.... I get it home and put it on the new dolly to drag to the lake.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/Nater73/002_zps0f89a211.jpg
Hello!!!! New Yaker here.

It's a nice looking and from my limited (read: zero) experience, it navigates easily. I took it out about a mile and fished around some timber. This was more of a recon trip.... to get some TOW and really figure some things out, and see what kind of available landscape I could reasonably access with my new purchase. The end result is that I feel like I'm in prime territory come the spawn, and maybe even other times when the water is decently calm.

I spoke with the neighbor across the street, and secured permission to access the lake.... so I'm pretty much set. I'm just really excited to be able to finally get on the water for a reasonable amount of $. That bank/shoreline fishing was getting old.

I have to personally thank Tommy for referring me to this forum. While I'm sure I'll predominately be fishing Hubbard, I'm sure I can take this guy to Lavon and fish it there from time to time.

There's still things I need to get for the yak, but I'll piecemeal it together over the summer. For now, I feel like I have the bare minimum to get started.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Welcome.  Well you already conquered the three hardest parts about owning a kayak: 1) Purchase, 2) Finding access, and 3) Muddying it up for the first time.  icon_biggrin

Are you at the northern end of the lake?  Like close to the Trinity river inlet?  If so, I'm sure you will have no problem finding people to venture out with you!   icon_lol

Check out the Texas Kayak Fisherman Forum too, if you haven't already...good stuff there too.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Wow an Ascend FS128T.  Tommy is one solid individual. Make leashes for every thing you do not want on the bottom of the lake.
Wear your life jacket of all times.  Get a nice anchor and anchor dolly system.  I have an Ascend FS12T rigged out and love.  Give me a shout and we can go fishing together.

Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:37:06 PM by 2050z
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Wow an Ascend FS128T.  Tommy is one solid individual. Make leashes for every thing you do not want on the bottom of the lake.
Wear your life jacket of all times.  Get a nice anchor and anchor dolly system.  I have an Ascend FS12T rigged out and love.  Give me a shout and we can go fishing together.

Actually, I have an FS12T just like you do. I didn't want to spend the money on the 128, as I feel that this one would meet my needs just as well. I do need to get some extra attachments for it though. A few trips on the water showed me where I was lacking in areas. I haven't decided on an anchor system yet as I'm still working out where to put all my gear in the best possible places. I could use another rod holder too, and once I get comfortable with things, I'll look into getting some sort of fish finder.

Top Bottom