Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 06:27:16 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
1/17 bankin  (Read 2193 times)
Lunker

I hadn't caught shad for a few days so I made some balls out of some expired breakfast sausage (regular, jimmy dean brand), with a little garlic, egg, and bread crumbs included....boiled them for a few min so they'd hold a hook and took them just in case. 

So I put my first rod out with half a sausage ball coated with the red catfish attractant that Academy sells...it's red, but not dead red....after I made the cast I put it in a rod holder and grabbed rod #2.  I figured I'd get the sausage balls workin while I tried to find some shad.

I hadn't even got the bait out for the 2nd rod...less than 1 minute after the cast, and I saw that pole start to bend.  I was not far away, maybe 20 ft.  So I go hauling ass (this usually requires 2 trips for me) over there and before I get to the pole, the rod holder gives and the rod starts heading for the lake.  With my best head first baseball slide in the mud I dove for it and got the end of the handle just before it went in.

I got some tension on it and it felt good, so I got up and started fighting it....my daughter went from laughing at me in the background when I dove at the pole in the mud to cheering on daddy while I reeled in the fish.   Ended up being 21 lbs, which isn't gonna set any records at Lavon, but it's a new PB for me, for any freshwater species...and hopefully something I top a few more times this year...it's still early...and now I'm even more fired up to catch some big ones!

That happened at about 3:30pm...nothing bit for half an hour after that so I got the waders on and threw the net a few times which did yield enough shad to fish with.  We fished those for another 45 min or so and ended up with a 5 pounder and then we bailed out....fishing with a 5 yr old is usually a short affair and it still gets dark early anyway.

I'm gonna go hit that spot again tomorrow if I can get a kitchen pass.  I might try it first AM and see what it does...I've been twice and got a couple eaters and then today's catch but both times were late afternoon. 

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Always a good trip when you catch a PB, even when you gotta get a little muddy!  WTG!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

Congrats on your new PB!  Good story.

Sounds like your going to need a better pole holder setup for those big blues in your future. What kind of holder are you using now?

That exact thing happen to me a time or two , I was able to get to one of my poles the other time it happend so fast I turned around and the pole holder was bent (1/2 conduit) and the pole was donated to Lady Lavon.  icon_cry

I have since made myself some stronger holders. Live and learn....it happens icon_razz

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Yeah, well I need a better rod setup too...I'm using some cheap spinning combos.  They're big enough but there's no clicker so they're locked in.  If I'd had a clicker I'd have had plenty of time before the rod holder was a problem.

I do need a better setup with the holder though, I have a couple of the 48" ones from cabelas or bass pro, can't remember which.  I didn't have it in the ground very far but even if I had, I think it was going for a ride.

It was a very good day....real nice weather, and my daughter was out of school so she got to go.  The only problem is that this all literally happened 5 min after I got there so after I got set back up and we waited 10 min or so I got the question...."when are you gonna catch another one?".

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Nice! Congrats on that PB.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

That looks like a flathead to me - hard to tell from the side and I'm no catfish expert by any means.

Anyway - good catch.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Great story and congrats and the PB! Nice work.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

Yeah, well I need a better rod setup too...I'm using some cheap spinning combos.  They're big enough but there's no clicker so they're locked in.  If I'd had a clicker I'd have had plenty of time before the rod holder was a problem.

Nothing wrong with spinning rods or not having clickers. I have clicker but dont use them unless I am on a boat. Can't hear them anyway if the wind is blowing much. Just have to put the holder in the ground and sit closer and watch for the bend.  As far as them being locked, just lossen the drag up so it start engaging before your rod holder bends.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

That looks like a flathead to me - hard to tell from the side and I'm no catfish expert by any means.

Anyway - good catch.

Definitely not a yellow cat...it's just covered in dirt in the picture.  I have caught a few flatheads at that same spot, but later in the year.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Definitely not a yellow cat...it's just covered in dirt in the picture.  I have caught a few flatheads at that same spot, but later in the year.

That just made me think of a really good day kayaking in that same spot.  I didn't catch any trophies but I caught a bunch of sandbass, a few crappie, and one of each blue, channel, and flathead catfish. 

It's not always about the big ones Smiley

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Flathead R&R Lake Record Holder

Good times.  Banking makes some super-exciting times running and slipping and tripping and... oh yeah catching big ones icon_exclaim icon_mrgreen

-------------------------
Records are made to be broken...
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Last time I banked at Lavon it was cold and wet and I won't explain how it happened but I ended up running for my rod in my socks.  BRRRRR

Glad you had a good trip.

B

Fiberglass, aluminum, pontoons...whatever floats your boat.
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Congrats on that PB!  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin And congrats on the acrobatics too! I almost spit coffee on da puter screen.  icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol And big kudos for takin your daughter fishin! Anytime a dad gets to take his kids fishin...its already a great day!  icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Congrats on that PB!  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin And congrats on the acrobatics too! I almost spit coffee on da puter screen.  icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol And big kudos for takin your daughter fishin! Anytime a dad gets to take his kids fishin...its already a great day!  icon_biggrin

No doubt about that!  I take her whenever I can....she won't always want to hang out with me and get dirty...but for now she's game!

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Good job! BTW isn't it some kind of sin or something to have expired sausage? That stuff would be gone at my house!

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: