Bleeding a catfish

(1/2) > >>

dwclark:
Where would you cut a catfish to "bleed" it before you filet it? Is it recommended to do this? I have heard that this makes the meat taste better.

arborist:
By far the best way to do this is to filet the fish then come back after you get all the filets and simply take a water hose with a pistol grip nozzle and spray the filets while holding them in the palm of your hand.  It will wash out the blood so a filet from a blue cat is pure white.  When I filet them with an electric knife I just have the hose hanging nearby to wash the cutting board off between every few fish then after I spray them clean I toss them into a large stainless bowl.  When I take them inside I wash them once more before putting them into 1 gallon zip lock bags.  If you want to go one step farther you can fill the stainless bowl with cold water and pour about a 1/4 cup of Real Lemon juice into it for a few minutes before packing them up.

dwclark:
i've also head that i should soak them in either milk, or some clear carbonated beverage for about 24hrs before cooking them?

mikesnow:
From what I've read, you cut just in front of the tail.  

I normally just filet the fish, put in a bowl of ice water, let it sit for about 30 mins, rinse and do it again.  The cold water makes some of the fat/oil congeal and seperate from the filets.

Steve-O:
You can cut one gill.   A pair of dikes works best for the gills.  You want them to slowly bleed.

or slit the tail, to the bone just at the meaty part on both sides.  

I bleed catfish over 5 lbs.  but just wash the smaller ones.  If you bleed them, they will make a mess, so toss them in the cooler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page