Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2018, 04:33:45 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
There must be a way in!  (Read 3875 times)
Minnow

Hi all.  Just amazing that Lavon has a dedicated site like this.  Looks great!

I could really use some help.  Just starting out kayaking with a Jackson big tuna and a nice trolling motor.  Yikes its seriously fun!!!

So I drove ALL THE WAY UP to Ray Roberts a couple of times hearing how great that lake is and caught nothing.  Nothing wrong with that lake.  Its gorgeous and easy to get in to at the Sanger boat ramp.  I figure I'd rather "not catch fish" locally.  icon_biggrin  Lavon is nice and close.

Not only new to kayaking (if that's what you call it with a trolling motor) but also new to Texas fishing.  I've only ever caught fish in the rocky lakes and streams of upstate NY.  So I'd greatly appreciate advice about how to get into Lake Lavon and what to do when I get there.

The yak is 85 lbs. plus a marine battery and lots of other stuff, so closer to 135.  With the recent rains, is there anywhere to get in where I won't sink in mud or give myself a hernia dragging it?

As for actual fishing, my novice instincts are saying find crappie!  Never caught one but we have a bunch in the freezer and they sure are good!  Without a fish finder (yet), when and were might I catch a few for the live well?

Thanks to whoever created this site.  Lots of great reading here! icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Welcome, great folks & info here for sure.

-------------------------
Jim
Fishing Time is my Chilling Time!
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Thanks JimBo.   I'd appreciate any thoughts on this good or bad.  Did get one friendly PM to call.  Hope to hear from other yakers too!

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

You can check with Baptist camp people to see if you can access the lake from their property.  I have done a few times.  Be sure to stop at the welcome center to get permission

Top Bottom  
Minnow

I appreciate the tip!  Any spots on the southern shore?  I'm coming up Garland Rd. from Dallas.

Looking at google, is there anything good between Lavonia Park and Lucas Rd. on the west shore?  Guess there are two questions here  Smiley

Anywhere southish with access to a good spot to fish?

Thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

I appreciate the tip!  Any spots on the southern shore?  I'm coming up Garland Rd. from Dallas.

Looking at google, is there anything good between Lavonia Park and Lucas Rd. on the west shore?  Guess there are two questions here  Smiley

Anywhere southish with access to a good spot to fish?

Thanks for the reply!
I am not a 'yakker' but I would suggest you go to Little Ridge park (at the power plant) on the East shore.  If the gate is open you can put in at the boat ramp even if it's blocked off.  Also a nice cove protected from North and South winds right there.  If the main gate is closed you can still park there and walk a couple hundred yards on the road to the ramp (I don't think it's illegal to do that, maybe someone else can chime in on that part).  I can't speak for East Fork access, maybe someone else can help with that.

Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:20:27 AM by Texdan
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Quit dragging your yak and roll it around with a kayak cart.
Buy it or make it. very easy to make. Google it
I just put a 3 hp mercury and outrigger on my pescador.
about 45lbs lighter than trolling motor and battery.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Quit dragging your yak and roll it around with a kayak cart.
Buy it or make it. very easy to make. Google it
I just put a 3 hp mercury and outrigger on my pescador.
about 45lbs lighter than trolling motor and battery.

I have a cart/dolly for mine and it's pretty easy to get around.

Start another thread. I would like to see pictures of your yak and trolling motor.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I have a cart/dolly for mine and it's pretty easy to get around.

Start another thread. I would like to see pictures of your yak and trolling motor.

Don't have any pics...yet.
Once I do I'll post up.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Our group has been launching at Little Ridge and East Fork for months now. Both are real easy to launch yaks. Little Ridge has a makeshift boat ramp open if you cannot launch from the shore. That's why I paddle my yak. I can launch it anywhere!

-------------------------
Jerry Hamon
Vice President Texas Council IFFF
President Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club
Top Bottom