Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2018, 02:35:26 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
My 73 yo dad wants to know what is a good stable kayak to get  (Read 3262 times)

Lunker Extreme

He wants one that he can sit on top and be able to stand up in. I was thinking of the ocean kayak brand but I know nothing about them.
I was out by the power plant on Friday and saw someone standing up in his. I was thinking that looks like what my dad needs. I was scared to go and talk to him because he was all wrapped up and could not see his face or hands. Reminded me of the invisible man. Shocked

-------------------------

You gotta go fishin if you wanna catch some fish....
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Two brands that I would look at are the Hobie Pro Angler. The Pro Angler is very stable and you pedal with your legs. Nice kayak but pricey.

The other kayak I would check out for your father is a Nucanoe. They have been getting a lot of good reviews. The kayak will allow you to add swivel seating which kind of gives you an idea of how stable they are. Some people will add a trolling motor and depending on what size you get it can be set up as a tandem kayak. So you can paddle and your dad could sit up front enjoy a beer while you put him on the fish. .

Their are other models and manufactures are starting to make more kayaks were it is easier to stand in. Most of it will be up to your father and how comfortable he is doing it.

If your really interested September 28 there will be a Get together of kayakers at Meadowmire Park at Lake Grapevine. Several kayak dealers will be out there and will allow you to demo different brands of kayaks with no pressure of buying anything. This is also a good time to see how other kayak fishermen rig out there kayaks and ask any questions you might have. I have been to two of these get togethers and it is very family oreinted and very laid back. So if you are interested in kayaking this would be an excellant time to try out some new kayaks before investing some money.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Great suggestions from A Lo.

Also check out Wilderness Systems Ride 135.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

appreciate the info...willpass it along and maybe even try some of them out myself cause I only got a couple of cheap ones. these are the ones I have. Got a good deal on them about a year and a half ago. Me and the adult kids and their friends like hittin the creek behind the house.

Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:27:32 PM by Fish Hook

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Yaks are definately a lot of fun!  I don't beleive that there is such a thing as the "best yak" out there.  It's all about personal preference.

Keep in mind how your Dad may use it - if on big open water, the longer the better.  I would not buy anything less than 12' for better tracking (less zig zag motion lets you cover more distance with less effort) - a rudder will help as well.  For creeks and such, 12' is probably max size due to manuverability.

Don't forget to check the weight as it may be very cumbersome for him to drag that thing around.

Best of luck & stay safe!

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I love my Ascend FS12T. 

The Hobie would be nice though

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Thank you for the response and ideas. We will look into it. I never heard of some of these kayaks and am grateful that you shared the kayak info with me. I will let you know what happens. Again, thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:45:27 PM by Fish Hook

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Hobie Pro Angler.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: