Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2018, 12:45:31 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Historical Lake Lavon Water temps?  (Read 3537 times)
LLF Fishing Legend

I can find climate data regarding averages for wind speed, temperature and such, but can't find anything on water temperature in the lake.  Anyone know of a site that has that data?

Thanks,
B

-------------------------
Fiberglass, aluminum, pontoons...whatever floats your boat.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

I can find climate data regarding averages for wind speed, temperature and such, but can't find anything on water temperature in the lake.  Anyone know of a site that has that data?

Thanks,
B

Probably your best bet would be Brent's log book.   icon_mrgreen
I doubt it exists anywhere else.  icon_cool

Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:53:29 PM by TexExp
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Yep, it is for sure in Brent's log book. Along with weather, baro pressure, wind direction, places fished, number caught, bait used, color of bait, yada yada! That boy can flat catch the fish on Lavon!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Hmmmph.  I don't think I have access.   icon_lol

I am really only interested in getting a general picture of how season and regular temp affect water temp so that I can estimate hypothermia and "in the water" survival times.  Doesn't have to be detailed just general.

B

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

SWAG
I would say maybe late October through late May-ish you could get Hypothermia.

October-ish 20 minutes
Nov-Dec 10 ish minutes
Jan-mid March 5 minutes - in the water

Again, Wild arse guesses

Hypothermia begins with body temp below 95 degrees - so technically you could get it at any time with prolonged exposure
I would not take ANY chances with exposure.  icon_mrgreen  Get out, get dry - shed clothes if you have to and let your skin dry.

This site seems liberal, I thought in freezing water, you would feel serious effects in under 5 minutes
http://westpacmarine.com/samples/Hypothermia_Chart.asp

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Yeah, I have been taking in a lot of that info.  My 14' tin V has been in dry dock at the Naval shipyards being outfitted for next year.  Since I am in a small boat, I really don't even bother to go out until conditions are very favorable.  Your estimates are in line with mine.

B

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Water at 70 to 80 degrees is not a problem. Once surface water temp gets below 70 degrees hypothermia can become a problem. Once water temps get below 60 degrees hypothermia will be a problem but probably have several hours. Once the temps get to 50 degrees, hypothermia can become deadly within an hour. At below 50 degree water hypothermia onset is rapid. Water in 40 degree temps can render you incapable of swiming, cramp muscles & cause unconsciousness in as little as 15 minutes. Below 40 degrees water temp and in as little as 5 to 10 minutes you will be in serious trouble. at 30 degree water you better have someone to help ya or it will be over in a few minutes and most likely before you could get yourself out of the water

Hypothermia is nuthin to take lightly...cuz in this case in cold water...that PFD aint gonna do ya no good if you is in the water very long. Temps above are general in nature. I read a detailed article somewhere that was very specific. But basically water temps of 60 degrees and lower need to be taken seriously and not ignored. You should always have some way to get back in the boat. If no ladder is available, you can use the cavitation plate on the motor lower unit above the prop for a step and climb in over the motor. It works even for big ole fat folks.....don't ask me how I know!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Scientific guy that I am, I have hopped out of and clambered back into my boat a few times just to see if I could do it...    icon_lol icon_lol

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: