Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 21, 2018, 02:08:40 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Fish cleaning problem  (Read 1610 times)
Lunker Extreme

For 40 years now I've used electric carving knives to fillet and skin fish of all varieties, both fresh and saltwater, and never had any problems. But yesterday I was using my Black & Decker electric knife on some sandies and crappie and had nothing but problems. For some reason after I cleaned several fish, small slivers of meat began to get between the two knife blades and prevented the knife from cutting properly. I had to takes the blades out of the knife and clean them of the meat slivers caught between the blades. I could not clean more than 3-4 fish without having to disassemble the blades. I thought it might be a problem with the knife so I went and exchanged it for a new one. But the same thing happened with the new one. I've used these B&D knives for many years and never had a problem with them. I've probably cleaned 300 fish already this year and had no problems until now.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

That's happened to me once or twice and I'm almost sure it was because the fish were not iced down well enough or they got a little too warm by the time I got to them to fillet them. When the meat gets warm it doesn't get cut well and get's all smashed up between the blades.
The only other reason is the blade bases or the blade holders are a little bent but you said you bought a new one so that theory is out the door.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

My theory is that electric filet knives SUCK these days.   icon_lol 
Don't know why they got cheaper and less effective.
I bought supposedly the most powerful "salt water" tough filet knife and it is still a piece of crap.

That's why Chuck on Cedar Creek went to using Bubba Blades.
He tells the story of buying so many electric filet knives and have them fail in a week or a few hours!

There would be a good market for one that worked!!
About 10-15 yrs ago I had an American Angler from Academy. It just plain wore out, but that thing worked great for a freakin' decade.   icon_mrgreen

I like to leave my crappie on ice for a while to get the meat firm like Jager.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

That's happened to me once or twice and I'm almost sure it was because the fish were not iced down well enough or they got a little too warm by the time I got to them to fillet them. When the meat gets warm it doesn't get cut well and get's all smashed up between the blades.
The only other reason is the blade bases or the blade holders are a little bent but you said you bought a new one so that theory is out the door.

That is exactly what happened with these fish, they were not iced down well at all. Thanks!!

Top Bottom