Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2018, 04:08:34 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
gator gar we caught recently  (Read 4380 times)
Lunker Extreme

Big one is six four taken on rod and reel. Other was bow and arrow got these less than an hour from lavon

-------------------------
We sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Love fishing! It's my drug!

Damm, nice ones. What do you do with them?

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Give them to tpwd for fish age studies. Or just release Rr fish. Other places than this location I eat them

We sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Top Bottom  
Minnow

Just moved to a small cabin right on Lake Lavon just down from the damn....walked my dog down to the lake today, and looked down on the sand...alligator Gar someone had caught and left there that looked to be a foot and a half long....I thought I was told we do not have alligator Gar here?....this doesn't make me too happy because I moved here to swim and be out in the lake all summer and I am not comfortable knowing those kind of aweful teeth are swimming all around me....so, are they known to bite people or dogs?

Christine icon_question

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

It is a Gar but there are no alligator Gar in lavon or Hubbard longnose spotted and shortnose .  They wont bit you only one confirmed case I have heard if that wasn't provoked.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Well I have seen a picture online of an alligator gar and it looked just like this one....the loooong nose and teeth shaped exactly like an alligator....those teeth were very very sharp looking.  I asked our property manager and she said "yes there are alligator gar in the lake over here.....if it wasn't an alligator gar then I can at least say I have never seen a fish with a snout and teeth that looked more like an actual alligator before....maybe I will walk back down tomorrow and take a picture if it is still there and put it up here. 

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

These in the photo are gator Gar people here call everything with a long nose and teeth gator Gar. They are not in lavon  or Hubbard been fishing and bow fishing these lakes all my life never seen one here. I even threw down $100 for anyone showing me a gator gar out of either of those lakes no one has collected even after tpwd did electronic fishing sample.  There are 4 Gar species in tx lavon? and hub have three of them long nose  short nose and spotted. I and my son have state records from lavon on short nose. Gator Gar also have two rows of teeth on the top jaw and one on the bottom. No difference than types of catfish same species completely different fish. Check tpwd lake records no gator Gar ever entered for those two lakes.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Well I will try and get the picture tomorrow if it's still there, I am curious what it is.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

More than anything it is probably a short nose Gar let me know I have gator Gar heads if you'd like to see one.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

There is some theories going around that there is hybrid alligator/longnose in some of the DFW lakes, resovoirs. Since the dna would be very old due to no pure Alligator Gars anymore in these waters, over the years they would look more like Longnose Gar. They usually get no bigger than 3-4ft with a tyical weight from 20-50lbs.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: