Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 06:28:08 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Evening time run  (Read 2361 times)

Lunker

Left work right on time tonight, put my son in the car, and went fishing. Caught a few good size shad in the first throw and hit the water. All in all a great few hours. Boated over a dozen, smallest being 2 lbs and the biggest being 17 lbs (Now my PB). Did not get the second line in the water before we had on on. Drifted about 20 feet across the lake in between East Fork and Colin Park. Each time I go out they seem to be getting bigger. Since I really only do catch and release, anyone have any suggestions on hook size? I have a feeling I am fishing too small a hook and should be cutting bigger bait.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

congrats on the PB I use a 5/0

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

WTG on the new PB Klinger. icon_cool
 I use 8/0 to 10/0 circle hooks.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Love fishing! It's my drug!

Congrats on your PB! Same here, size 8 to 10 on the circle hooks.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I like 6/0 to 8/0 hooks...just my preference.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

great job on that new P.B.  icon_cool icon_biggrin  ....... hook preference 8/0 circle

-------------------------
Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Thanks guys. I think I am going to change up my set up a bit based on the feedback.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I am using 7/0 circle hooks.  Have caught blues from 1.5# to 35# on that hook size.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

WTG!Nice fish! Been using 6/0 and 7/0 circles.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

Congrats on the new PB Klinger

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

You don't need big hooks to catch big fish, but you do need bigger hooks for bigger baits.  You always want the bait to go on there with plenty of hook showing.  Upsizing everything will slow down your bite most of the time.  However when a big bait gets hit, the blood gets to pumping faster.  Right now is the time when bait don't matter.  Any size will do as they are stuffing before spawn. 

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Flathead R&R Lake Record Holder

Like pb said, match the hook to the bait size.  I have some 5/0 I'd like to sell cuz I use 7/0-10/0.  Still looking for a good 12/0 hook <50 cents/

Records are made to be broken...
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

PB 49 lb flathead

Congrats on the pb and I like to use 6-8 circles hooks

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Brian
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

T-wok 30#

Congrats on the Pb I use #8 mostly pick a hook with a good offset and a wide bait area. catfishing is addicting work and very rewarding with a little tow glad to see you are on the right track. In any event congrats..

Cooncrazy1

A little slime never hurt anyone.
Alot is even better
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Appreciate all the feedback. I went out shopping today and have decided to experiment with a few sizes tomorrow. I will be interested to see how the day goes. Looks like it is going to be a great morning. Here's hoping for tight lines!

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: