Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 06:22:23 AM

Poll
Question: Which makes more sense to you [considering the cost of SINKERS these days] ?
Let Main Line Break First - 7 (63.6%)
Let Leader Break First - 4 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Main Line size VS Leader Size  (Read 1615 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

I personally intend to go up in main line size next time I re-stock ...So I can still use my P Line X 25 lb. leaders,and NOT lose EVERYTHING when I get hung up. [ I been using 20 lb main lines forever now ]

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Uhhh Ronnie if'n you gonna be using a weight that is attached to the main line, you should seriously re-consider your ideer! Two oz or larger weights can come flyin right back at ya just like a bullet. Seen pics of these circumstances that is not a purdy site! Heck, I have a hard enuf time tryin to break 25 pound main line now. What you gonna save...a buck or buck fifty....sure wouldn't want to see ya get hurt for that pittance in savings me friend.  icon_mrgreen

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I am aware of that danger...Seen it happen in my boat before,But with KNOWING it can happen,It can be prevented by pulling on the line at a low angle and  by looking AWAY from the KNOWN missile that is to come. And ya gotta be EXTRA careful if it is close to the boat...Longer distances out from the boat aint even an issue.[ and that buck or so each time adds up fast when ya hang-up a dozen times or more each trip]

Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:21:48 AM by RonnieD
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Uhhh Ronnie if'n you gonna be using a weight that is attached to the main line, you should seriously re-consider your ideer! Two oz or larger weights can come flyin right back at ya just like a bullet. Seen pics of these circumstances that is not a purdy site! Heck, I have a hard enuf time tryin to break 25 pound main line now. What you gonna save...a buck or buck fifty....sure wouldn't want to see ya get hurt for that pittance in savings me friend.  icon_mrgreen

The quote above seemed odd to me when I first saw it, but then saw you clarified it with the "weight on the mainline" statement. i.e. you must be using a carolina type rig where the weight is on the mainline and not on the leader.

When I fish, my weight is at the very bottom of my leader, so this can not happen when the mainline or leader breaks. It can still happen if nothing breaks, but just comes unstuck.

99 percent of the time we don't use a net while bankfishing so one guy will go in and grab the fish a few feet off the bank if it's a good one. If I caught the fish, I am always worried about the hook popping out and the terminal rig nailing the guy trying to grab the fish. I try to angle the rod so if this happens no one gets hurt. It can also be an issue if onlookers just walk over and start gawking while your reeling in and set themselves up right where stuff would fly if the fish spit the hook. You gotta be alert to try to keep people safe..

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

yep. only the difference of an inch and I would be reading this forum with one eye!  angel

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: wan2fish link=topic=23226.msg210943 #msg210943 date=1363369667
yep. only the difference of an inch and I would be reading this forum with one eye!  angel

And we saw it all...... 

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

yep. only the difference of an inch and I would be reading this forum with one eye!  angel
  PS... You GOTTA have your drag set and working in order to survive the danger when you get a biggun up to the side of the boat!!! icon_lol

Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:25:04 PM by RonnieD
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Flathead R&R Lake Record Holder

When you're smart enough to switch to braid  icon_razz mainline you don't get the rebound effect- no stretch.

Records are made to be broken...
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

When you're smart enough to switch to braid  icon_razz mainline you don't get the rebound effect- no stretch.
Funny you should mention that...Got 2 spools on the way. icon_cool

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

The main thing is to not try & pull hard enough to break your line if you are hung above or just below the surface. I wont pull on these no matter how it is rigged, just lay the rod down & wait til you are ready to move.
Also do not stand behind a bowed rod while someone is fighting a goodun cause it may come unbuttoned & you'll get slapped in the face
...Don

Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Yeah, even with braid the rod is gonna flex and make it a potentialy dangerous situation. Best to imagine there's a mishap, forcast the flight path of your terminal rig, and position the rod so yourseld and others are out of harms way.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: