Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 12:20:35 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Somewhat Disturbing...  (Read 3569 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

To find out that my beloved Ambassadeur Reels that say "Made in Sweden" all over them,AIN'T made in Sweden  icon_evil  They should say " Assembled in Sweden,Boxed in Sweden,and Shipped From Sweden" cause all the Swedish plant workers do is open boxes of reels,without handles,and open boxes of handles only,then assemble the two pieces, Then pack them into the marketing boxes,Which now say "Made in Sweden"... Is there NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE?  icon_cry

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

On a side note though, If the Chinese factories are capable of making high quality products such as said Ambassadeur reels, I expect to start seeing some Chinese reels proudly waring there own badges ,and using there own names [such as Ming Yang, for one] ,and becoming a serious competitor in this market.And you know what , I will buy them simply because THEY AIN'T LIARS !!!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I'm looking at getting 3 of the abu 6600 c4 reels. Ran into a guy named mike (turned out to be a fireman) who said thats what he uses and all the guts are stainless steel and brass. Said he's never had any problems with em. Academy has em for $99 a piece. Sure wish I could get some more PAT reels...  icon_frown wonder if the C4's are the "made (assembled) in Sweden" type.

where did you find this information out?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I'm looking at getting 3 of the abu 6600 c4 reels. Ran into a guy named mike (turned out to be a fireman) who said thats what he uses and all the guts are stainless steel and brass. Said he's never had any problems with em. Academy has em for $99 a piece. Sure wish I could get some more PAT reels...  icon_frown wonder if the C4's are the "made (assembled) in Sweden" type.

I talked to a guy who was in Sweden a while back, and had  found their headquarters and 'Factory',so he stopped and asked them for a tour of the place.Said the whole building was about half the size of our Walmart stores,and that there was NO machine shop in it at all...nothing but assembly lines and shipping / receiving dept. and some office space.Any machinery that was once there,is now GONE, nobody actually makes anything there.They have got the Chinese factories making all the parts to their [abu] specifications, which are of high quality,and not "cheap",but more economical because of lower labor costs over there. I still love the reels and all,But was just a little disappointed to hear that....Dont wanna mention any names, but the guy lives in Lucas and his initials are ed. icon_redface

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

So does that make my 40 year old Ambassadeurs more valuable?  Dudn't matter anyhow, wouldn't' sell 'em. Wonder if a Chinese Ambassadeur will last a lifetime like a Swedish Ambassadeur has.

-------------------------
Don't catchem all
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

So does that make my 40 year old Ambassadeurs more valuable?  Dudn't matter anyhow, wouldn't' sell 'em. Wonder if a Chinese Ambassadeur will last a lifetime like a Swedish Ambassadeur has.
 I would think Yes,and Yes...Mine are around 8yrs old now and still solid as ever.Seems the Chinese CAN  make anything as good as anybody else can,as long as someone MAKES them use high grade materials and pays the little bit extra for them. After all, Look how good the Pro Angler rods are...They wouldn't have been that good without Doug's and Ed's PUSHING them to do it right.

Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:58:00 AM by RonnieD
Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

Several models have been made in china for several years. Lots of the higher dollar models. I know the c3 and 7000i have been china made for 5+ years and are foot stamped with china

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Just like anything.....doesn't matter where it is made as long as quality goes in up front. But, most folks shop price first and quality second so china & southeast asia win hands down on cheaper labor costs.  Shoppin by price, you always get whut you pay for.....but, shoppin for value you usually get what you pay for too! Price and value usually ain't the same thang! Like the fram oil commercial years ago, pay me know or pay me later....but you is gonna pay one way ot another!  icon_lol icon_lol

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Abu garcia was sold in 2007 to another company.  In 2006, I know they were was a big deal being made about them beefing up production in Sweden.  You would probably have laughed at the amount of equipment they had making these reels.  Nothing like what you would expect.  I am guessing they still have a lot of manufacturing there and it is in a smaller spot somewhere.  There are only certain models being made there and I am fairly sure that they stamp everything accordingly.  Why stamp some with China and do differently with others. 

They also have manufacturing in other countries, but there is no reel stamped with those countries, so it gets confusing.

I would think the question is how long does what you use last and are you willing to buy more.  if they were mnade in the USA, they would cost 300 each. 

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I just want to see "Made In USA" on stuff we buy.. Before and after WWII we were China, everyone was buying stuff from us.
Now all we have mostly is "Service Industry" jobs which will not be able to sustain us over time. Guess we all need to brush up on saying "You want fries with that" or "Welcome to Walmart"

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Yes they are...  I own four of them and they've been nothing but good to me.

Jeremy
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

That abu 7000i is made in China. BUT, that is one fine reel. Kinda like puttin a winch on a rod. Heavy gears. But it aint a cheap reel! Ya get whut you pay for in most cases. I have about 20 abu, 500, 5000, 5500, 6000 & 6500. Mostly 6000 & 6500. The oldest is about 40 years old & still works great and parts are still available.

Just stay away from the BCX models. They are pure junk. Something Pure Fishing came out with that was cheaper to make and has a lot of nylon & plastic parts. Pure junk from Pure Fishing. They are well aware of the reel's problems and refuse to change production due to continued high sales of this junk reel.

Most American cars have a lot of foreign parts. And most Hondas & Toyotas sold here in the good ole USA are made here and not Japan. Just remember most any brand now is not what is was 10 years ago. We are now in a worldwide economy and this aint gonna change folks. Do your research before you buy. Internet is a wealth of reviews from folks who already let loose their hard earned money!  icon_rolleyes icon_eek icon_cool icon_cool

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

ABU's made in China.....All good things must come to an end soapbox boohoo hitfan

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

T-wok 30#

I just want to see "Made In USA" on stuff we buy.. Before and after WWII we were China, everyone was buying stuff from us.
Now all we have mostly is "Service Industry" jobs which will not be able to sustain us over time. Guess we all need to brush up on saying "You want fries with that" or "Welcome to Walmart"

I am with you Lou how about making a good affordable catfish reel in the good ole USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooncrazy1

A little slime never hurt anyone.
Alot is even better
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

I am with you Lou how about making a good affordable catfish reel in the good ole USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It called a Penn!  icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: