Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2017, 01:17:23 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Penn 9 level wind  (Read 2504 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Any of yall know anything about this reel? Got one in cabelas bargain cave for less than $30 (originally 60). saying this has a loud clicker is a huge understatement. looks like all metal guts. can't wait to try it out.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

not that particular model, but aint never had a bad penn reel. U.S. made product! I got two penn spinning reels now and they are both solid reels. They aint cheap either!

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I likey :)

I have 2 of them and only complaint i have is gear ratio. One day that ratio (slowww) is gonna stump me a fish I don't want stumped. Casts better than any I have and solid as can be.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I have 2 of them and only complaint i have is gear ratio. One day that ratio (slowww) is gonna stump me a fish I don't want stumped. Casts better than any I have and solid as can be.

What do u mean Joe? I heard they reel slow but do u mean stump you?

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

What do u mean Joe? I heard they reel slow but do u mean stump you?

I'm gonna guess he means that the fish will wrap his line around a stump before he can get the fish clear of said stump-field because he'll be taking in so little line due to the low gear ratio...  Gotta get them big ones out of the debris quick, unless you like the story of the one that got away!

Jeremy
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I'm gonna guess he means that the fish will wrap his line around a stump before he can get the fish clear of said stump-field because he'll be taking in so little line due to the low gear ratio...  Gotta get them big ones out of the debris quick, unless you like the story of the one that got away!

i figured that's what he means. guess if one gets on there I'll have to walk backwards as fast as I can while reeling in. maybe I can conjure up some of those old football DB skills. haha

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Any of yall know anything about this reel? Got one in cabelas bargain cave for less than $30 (originally 60). saying this has a loud clicker is a huge understatement. looks like all metal guts. can't wait to try it out.

Never had a 9 but years ago buddy of mine used one to catch many double-digit redfish in Louisana bayous/swamps; swore by them.  Was given a well worn 109 from an estate sale and wore it out because had no diagram for opening, cleaning and oiling.  Worked very well.  Use one of my 209's drifting and it will winch the whaler upwind when I find a snag! Very rugged reels, but slow like said.

Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:38:43 PM by RalphieBoy

A day without fishing is a day lost forever!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I've been catching fish with it and here's what I've found.. slowest reel ever. 3:1 ratio compare to my pats is almost half the speed. But it can crank in good fish with ease. Low gears = lots of torque I guess cause it was never an effort with fish in the teens (felt like small eaters). Wayyyy louder than anything else I own.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Pros: loud clicker, tough as nails, made in USA, inexpensive.
Cons: a little slower ratio, but strong.
Overall, not bad for the price.
I've got 4 Penns, PM me if interested

Chad
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I've been catching fish with it and here's what I've found.. slowest reel ever. 3:1 ratio compare to my pats is almost half the speed. But it can crank in good fish with ease. Low gears = lots of torque I guess cause it was never an effort with fish in the teens (felt like small eaters). Wayyyy louder than anything else I own.
I'm curious to know how well those cast,Do they have a centrifical braking system in them? I just remember the first 2 baitcasters I had were a 209 and a 210 , & I dang near threw BOTH of them d@m thangs in the lake out of pure frustration !

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

working on setting the casting drag just right. backlashes more than my PAT's. I can cast the pats further too, but I think it's bc I'm used to is and have those dialed in. Plus I keep my thumb on the penn just a lil bit more bc of the backlashing.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: