Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2018, 08:28:01 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Need handgun advice  (Read 3667 times)

Lunker

Good morning!

I am looking at getting handguns for my wife and I, but have no experience.  I was raised by a single mother so guns and motorcycles were considered pure evil...

Any advice on good guns that are a reasonable value?  Not looking for a new hobby, I've just been in Texas long enough to feel a little guilty for not owning a gun.

Thank you very much!

Carter

-------------------------
Religion is a guy in church thinking about fishing. 

Relationship is a guy out fishing thinking about God.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I have a co-worker that went to Bullet Trap in Plano and took one of their handgun classes.  You get to shoot 12 different types of handgun.  That way you can see which type of handgun is right for you.

Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect.
It just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Top Bottom  

Lunker

I have a co-worker that went to Bullet Trap in Plano and took one of their handgun classes.  You get to shoot 12 different types of handgun.  That way you can see which type of handgun is right for you.

Thank you!

Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

What are you going to be using it for?

home defense
Carry on your person
hobby shooting
carry it in your car
hunting

Top Bottom  

Lunker

What are you going to be using it for?

home defense
Carry on your person
hobby shooting
carry it in your car
hunting

Thanks Shawn!  Here are answers.

home defense                  Mainly
Carry on your person        Rarely
hobby shooting                 No
carry it in your car            Not all the time.
hunting                            No

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

given what you'll be using it for, I'd go with a full size with a higher mag capacity and a larger caliber (.40 and up) even though "she's a girl". She needs to hold several different makes/models in her hand to see what feels right to her. .357 mag would be good too. You're looking for knock down power and said you won't be going to the range much - but you need to so you are comfortable and confident with it.  Budget will be your determining factor. what are you looking to spend? couple hundred? I like glock or the judge. wanna spend a grand? Kimber 1911.

Cabelas has used guns, but I like GT distributers in Dallas. Great prices and good people.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

GLOCK.............................

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Glock or Sprinfield XD for you...  .38 special for her.... Bullet trap in plano rents guns for their range.

Chad
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Strictly for home defense...the "Judge" wins. Three .410 shotshells with buckshot for up close and personal with a couple of slugs on the back end for reach out and tag em! Revolver...easy to use...less stuff to jam up. Simple operation. For home defense you dont need a tack driver in accuracy. Buckshot in a handy pistol is best of both worlds. Not a wieldy shotgun and not too much power to go thru a bunch of walls and maybe hurt someone unintended. Yep, da "Judge" would be my choice. 3 inch version!  icon_biggrin icon_eek icon_mrgreen

Top Bottom