Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2018, 05:58:58 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Advise on What to Buy (AR-type Rifle)  (Read 5027 times)

Lunker Extreme

O.K. guys, I've been thinking about buying an "AR-type" rifle, and with the tragic events of a few days ago; and Obama starting to talk tough on "assault weapons", I figure I better get to buying one soon if I'm going to buy one.  So, with that being said, what brand(s) would you recommend and why?  Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when researching them?  I've looked at several:  Bennelli, H&K, Brushmaster, etc. and all of them seem to have one or more that look really interesting, but I'm not sure what specifics I should be looking at.  Any advise/links/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

-------------------------
Jeremy
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Colt and Bushmaster AR 15's are popular. .223 is Inexpensive ammo, fun to shoot and very little or no recoil. I'd shop around first for consignments and look for gently used or new pre owned guns at bullet trap, cheaper than dirt, gun master, cabelas, gander mountain, etc. There's also a gun range in lewisville run by police and ex military that sale consignments. (I'd listen most to the guys who actually work on and use the guns.)

Chad
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Two words: BUILD IT!!! Wayyyy cheaper, more sense of ownership and you actually will end up with a better quality product. Each brand has 1 or 2 things they could have done better, so if you build it yourself you can make sure you get all the quality components in your gun. If you start with colt you have to end with colt because the pins wont match up with other manufacturers.

Check this out. long read but put the time in now to read it and you'll thank yourself later.

http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Thanks for that link Doug, that sure is a LOT of information to chew on!

Jeremy
Top Bottom  

Group: Fishing Guide
Lunker Extreme

+1 on Building one yourself. Just read up and go for it. The guys at "Cheaper than dirt" in Mckinney are really nice and some of them are really knowledgable about ar's as well.

Randy Arrington Lavon Fishing and Trophy Bass Guide
972-345-4286 www.lavonfishing.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I got me a left hand (Model 2TL) from Stag Arms, which eject the casing on the left side and away from my face.  I was told that you should get one with 5.56 NATO Chamber.  You can shoot both 5.56 or .233 rounds.  If you get .223 barrel then you can only shoot .223 rounds.

Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect.
It just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I got me a left hand (Model 2TL) from Stag Arms, which eject the casing on the left side and away from my face.  I was told that you should get one with 5.56 NATO Chamber.  You can shoot both 5.56 or .233 rounds.  If you get .223 barrel then you can only shoot .223 rounds.

true. It will have 5.56 NATO stamped on the barrel.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

what happened with this??

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I've pretty much given up...  Prices skyrocketed as availability shrunk.  I'm still keeping my eyes open, but I don't have much hope.  Everything I've seen has been north of 2K, and I'm not looking to spend that kind of money.  I've switched my focus to finding a nice carry-pistol.

Jeremy
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

yup. my guy that I got a steal on all my parts was built for around $700 total. now it's worth over $2500. looking to trade it + cash for a boat. been getting lots of hits just need to find the right boat now!! hopefully I'll be on the water real soon.

Personally, I think the prices are going to start coming down soon and everything will level out again. Then, I'll buy another one. Cabelas still sells  them for the normal price.. just gotta be there when they pull em out.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Well the hype is slowing down. Just gotta keep watchin. Some folks haven't raised prices. They just have no inventory. Cabelas had several stripped down ar for $899 last week. But they went out the door bout as fast as cabelas got em in. You just have to keep checkin. I have seen several on various forums for $1299 this past week. I be willing to bet those folks that paid $1,500, $2000 or $2400 or more for an AR are gonna be upset in another couple of months when they cant sell em for anyway near what they paid for em! Just be patient. Prices are coming down.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

Are you open to an AK47?  I got one last Sept and have really enjoyed shooting it.  Not much recoil, easy break down, and goes bang every time.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Are you open to an AK47?  I got one last Sept and have really enjoyed shooting it.  Not much recoil, easy break down, and goes bang every time.

No, but thanks...  I'm out of the "black gun" market.

Jeremy
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: