Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2018, 06:20:04 AM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Fried Gar Balls  (Read 7343 times)
Lunker Extreme

I only do alligator gar long nosed gar or hybrid gar. . For hybrid gardens we take back strap into strips boiling crawfish boil an eat like lobster. 4 large alligator gar for long nosed gar use a spoon on raw meat to separate flesh from the grizzle then make it to patties or balls and fried.

-------------------------
We sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Top Bottom  

Lunker

hatchet AND a pair of tin snips

+1

I will use a 3" high speed cut-off tool and a pair of goggle to slice open the amor.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Gator is pretty good.  So in that case... My next gar is definitely coming home with me.

It's a lot tougher than the accustomed to fried gator tail from Pappadeaux. The next one I catch, I will try 1/2 a TSP of baking soda for 2lbs of backs trip gar over night to soften the meat, breaded with spicy cornmeal then deep fry. This makes me hungry  icon_mrgreen

Top Bottom  
Lunker

I've eaten Short nose, long nose and gator gar.  short and long were disgusting.  I even shot them, cleaned immediately, and put on ice.  Still tasted like crap.  Ate a gator gar from a buddy and it was one of the best tasting fish ever.  Gar balls are ground gar made into balls battered and fried.  You grind them because the sinew in the meat makes you think you are eating rubber.  Gator gar under 20lbs doesn't have that issue.  If you get a gar over  8 lbs they have a lot of meat on them and no bones.  The rib cages are held real low on the fish.  They call the meat the "back strap" because the ribs are so low that all of the meat is above them.  They are easy to clean with a hatchet, a knife and a vice grip.  5 min and your done.  If you palette likes Gar you should eat them.  I just find them way to fishy and the rubber texture is a spoiler. I have a friend that likes them.

Top Bottom  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: