Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2018, 08:00:20 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Fried Gar Balls  (Read 6827 times)

Lunker

Got a buddy from Baton Rouge that was raving about fried gar balls the other day.  He didn't know how to make them, but swears they're good eatin'.  I've never actually eaten gar before... but I'll try (just about) anything once.  Anyone here got a good recipe for 'em?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

no special recipe.  You only eat the back strap of meat off the gar and you cut it into smaller pieces and they are round so they call them gar balls.  Fry it in coren meal of any fish fry batter as usual.  The deal with gar is that they need to be larger so that you can get enough meat to bother with.  Gator gar are best, but I don't care if you kill 100's of smaller ones and barely get enough to eat.  Buy a hatchet!

-------------------------
Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Gator gar are best, but I don't care if you kill 100's of smaller ones and barely get enough to eat. 
thx for that Polebender... sounds like crawfish.  You could almost starve to death eating them. 

I've seen lots of gar on lavon.  may have to snag one next time I'm out.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

hatchet AND a pair of tin snips

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

thx for that Polebender... sounds like crawfish.  You could almost starve to death eating them. 

I've seen lots of gar on lavon.  may have to snag one next time I'm out.

You can  give me the crawfish and I will give you all the gar....  Deal?  I grew up eating anything caught cause we didn't have any money.  So I have tried most all of it at least what is native to Louisiana.  Before my grandparents passed, they enjoyed buffalo more than most fish.  I am getting olde and recall everything, but it was cooked in a pressure cooker and the bones were softened to the point where you just eat those with it.  Kinda like sardines ( not the taste, the bone part). 

That side of the family did not like to fish, so they got it from people and a fish market owned by a family friend.  I think it was just cheaper so they got used to it. 

The other side of my family was different.  They loved to fish and nothing went back.  The most targeted fish was bream because of how they fished.  Didn't have a motor on the boat most of the time, so putting in where all the cypress trees were was close and usually held fish.  ANd my grandad was well know in those parts and the game wardens were all taught to leave him alone.  There was a 100 fish limit, but he would never be checked.  He could even use their private ramp.  He loved catfish but never was that good at locating them unless the water was running from the river.  (We fished what was all back water to a lake). 

ALl this to tell you that he wasted nothing.  So we ate everything.  He kept the turtles and all.  I do remember this one time we were out and he caught a fish eel and I had never seen one and was a little freaked out by it, so he threw it on me.  I finally calmed down and asked what we were gonna do with that and as usual he said eat it.  I never tried that one!

I know we used to catch catfish, bass, bream, white perch, bowfin, buffalo, carp, etc, and the occassional baby alligator - yes they went home too.

-------------------------
Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

i've heard that the taste and texture of gar is dang near identical to alligator.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

You can  give me the crawfish and I will give you all the gar....  Deal? 

LOL!  Don't think I could ever give up crawfish.  Just have to drink more beer if I'm not peeling fast enough.   icon_lol

Top Bottom  

Lunker

i've heard that the taste and texture of gar is dang near identical to alligator.

Gator is pretty good.  So in that case... My next gar is definitely coming home with me.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

In the past 4 or 5 weeks I've met many people from 3 different ethnic backgrounds.
White, black and  hispanic. All who have tried gar say it's pretty good and have eaten
it more than once. Recipe? They say prepare it like any other fish if fileted.Breaded and fried
 Backstrap has the best taste. . If whole, pressure cooking is necessary,
Personally I will try it. Butt only after I have laid in my winter catfish bait. I didn't catch
anything on the large frozen shad I had last winter.
Let's get some gar to Tommy's cookout next month.

Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:45:09 AM by Sawdust48
Top Bottom