Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 12:43:28 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
dead minnows  (Read 1172 times)

Minnow

Got 1/2 pound of minnows yesterday, and once at the lake put them in a minnow bucket.  Looked to me about 40-50 minnows.  I was planning to let that thing in the water and put it in the boat in between moving around.  In no time at all they were mostly dead.  Was this just a result of not keeping them in the lake enough, or could it have been a temperature shock from the bag to the lake?  How do you guys keep 'em alive?

Second, do crappies eat dead minnows?  We didn't get much of a chance to find out -- my son left the minnow trap open so all but about 5 floated out.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Temperature mostly got them. Put the full minnow bucket in an ice chest with ice. A cheap bubbler from Walmart helps too, keeps the water oxygenated. If you have one of the small yellow and white buckets they will run out of oxygen quick. Summer is hard on store bought minnows! In a boat you're better off with a bigger bucket that will hold more water.

Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:53:50 PM by luvtofish

-------------------------
I love to fish, it's just that simple.

Kes   

Team Double K                  

http://www.texastrophycats.com/
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Sounds like a rough day!!
Been there, done that.

Yep, it was temperature shock. Most lake's surface temp these days is around 90 degrees.
Keep them in the blue cold water you get from the bait shop for as long as you can. Keep them cool in the shade.
Bring an extra ice chest if you can if you are going to be out there a while.
- Do not - put ice directly in the water with minnows (or crappie), the chlorine will kill them.
Seal bags of ice and keep your water cool. Lower temp, lower metabolism, longer life.
I use gatorade or other bigger plastic bottles frozen in my live well for tourneys to keep fish alive and frisky... well almost frisky.   icon_mrgreen

Flounder had a small styrofoam ice chest and bought a 'bubbler' for the tourney. We kept it under my console and 1/2 lb were fine and frisky all day.
good luck!

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I have caught some on dead minnows, but it is a lot slower.

I experienced the same issue this last week, so I got a tip to "float the bag".  I tried two ways.  One is dumping the bag and water into a bucket and start using them from there until the water warms up, and then put it in the lake.  The other is to put some lake water in a bucket and put the bag in there until the water gets close to lake temp.  I retrieve minnows out of the bag until the water has come close to lake water, then I put it in the lake.

I tried one way Thursday and the other Saturday, and both methods have had very few die, like 5 out of a quarter pound.

It seems like they start swimming closer to the top the longer I have them out.  I am thinking this correlates to the oxygen content of the water depleting, which is also a good sign to either introduce some lake water, or get them in the lake.  If anyone can confirm or deny this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am curious to see more experienced folks responses.

Carter

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

yep, what Kes said!   icon_mrgreen

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I am not an expert but I will tell you what I have tried and works for me. First of all I have been there with the minnow killing. The first time I bought minnows I put them in the boat(hot sun) and when I got to the ramp the were all dead. So my evolved method is I have a old cooler that I put tap water in the night before and a small amount of shad saver I run the aerator in it for awhile and leave the lid open all night so the chlorine will get out. The next morning I put a frozen bottle of water in it if the water is hot on the way to the bait store. Leave them in the bag until I need them. and run the aerator from time to time keeping them out of the sun. You can put ice in a ziplock if you need to cool them some during the trip. If I catch some shad I add salt to the water but the salt will kill the minnows. The cooler is also good for keeping your catch also. I have yet to see the catch eat any of the bait, then again I dont catch many anyway icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Well Chlorine evaporate quickly so you can usually use ice without any problems. Striaght tap water is a no no unless it sits out overnight. Trick to keepin minners alive is temp and oxygen. Warm/hot water dont hold much oxygen. Use a smal aerator and keep water cool to cold. Most water them minners comes in from the bait store is cold. put minners in a bucket and add ice. Don't worry, the water 10 to 20 foot deep is much cooler than the surface water.

Minners can handle cold water shock a whole lot better than warm/hot water shock. Warm/hot water shock will kill em quick because they not only have the shock but not enuf oxygen either to deal with the shock.

If you don't have an aerator, you can keep adding ice just until dem minners start to look dead and lay on their side at the bottom of the bucket. Don't worry, they ain't dead. Dead minners float. These won't be floatin! When you pick up one of those "dead lookin" minners they will start to move from the warmth outside the bucket and they will git real frisky. You can keep minners on a hot day a long time like this by using ice if you dont have an aerator.

If you have an aerator, add ice untill the water is in the 60's and that aerator will keep dem minners real frisky. As water warms up, add some more ice. keep the aerator running. Cold water will keep minners alive a long time.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

I experienced the same issue this last week, so I got a tip to "float the bag".  I tried two ways.  One is dumping the bag and water into a bucket and start using them from there until the water warms up, and then put it in the lake.  The other is to put some lake water in a bucket and put the bag in there until the water gets close to lake temp.  I retrieve minnows out of the bag until the water has come close to lake water, then I put it in the lake.

I tried one way Thursday and the other Saturday, and both methods have had very few die, like 5 out of a quarter pound.

It seems like they start swimming closer to the top the longer I have them out.  I am thinking this correlates to the oxygen content of the water depleting, which is also a good sign to either introduce some lake water, or get them in the lake.  If anyone can confirm or deny this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Carter

Yes, if they are swimming at the surface in your bucket, they are almost out of O2 and close to dying.

I love to fish, it's just that simple.

Kes   

Team Double K                  

http://www.texastrophycats.com/
Top Bottom  

Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Legend

Carter

Carter, your on the money. I have a 175 gallon Coral Reef Tank. You can't mess around with these fish or corals. As some some of y'all know, most fish are 50$ each all the way to 400$. Corals range from $40-$1200 each. While i was typing this I took a pic of it from where I'm sitting. - I might make it a crappie tank one day. Or just get another tank.....

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u201/tarponfly/Mobile%20Uploads/b2c7d74a.jpg
dead minnows

So with that said, you have to do it the right way. If you do it the wrong way, you just lost 20$ and u have chum now.

You have to acclimate your minnows. I rarely loose over two or three a day. I think those two or three were already dead. keep the lake water running in the tank the whole time your out. Make sure you have a screen so they don't go out the over flow box.

The stores keep their minnow tanks on chillers. This slows the minnows metabolism down and they last longer. Like in winter time, you can keep a lot of minnows in a small amount of water wit no floaters. Colder the water temps, the  more oxygen. 90 degree water will kill your fish quick if you just turn the bait pump on and just dump them in. I turn my bait well on and float them for about 10 mins checking on them every 2 mins. As the water warms up in the bag, the oxygen starts to get used up rapidly. Use caution. If you start to see floaters, get them out of the bag ASAP.

Carey Thorn

Lake Lavon Crappie Guide - Plus Other Lakes

Bass Pro Shop - Pro Staff Member

http://TexasOklahomaFishingGuide.com/

469-528-0210
Top Bottom  
Lunker

I take 8oz empty bottles and fill them with water. Freeze them and drop them in a large styrofoam minnow bucket with small battery operated aerator.  This keeps my minnows frsky all day. You have use extra effort to keep them live during the summer.

Reggie

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Also wash all sunscreen,insect spay ect... Off hands! Use small dip net if possible. I sit mine on top of ice in small ice chest while on kayak and they last. Do not let them set in the ice water as it melts as they get to cold and will die.

Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:17:18 AM by yak-caster

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

that's why I USE JIGS!!!   icon_mrgreen   pita

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: