Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 03:20:42 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Why all Baitcaster are Right Hand Retrieve  (Read 3448 times)

Lunker

First time out with Capt. Larry

Went by Bass Pro on I30 and got into a discussion on baitcasters with the manager behind the fishing counter.
I asked him why most all baitcasters and most reels for that matter are Right Hand retrieve when for most people they cast with their Right Hand and then have to change the pole over to the Left Hand in order to crank?  His explanation was it's an American thing developed by engineers who don't spend a lot of time actually fishing and that in Europe most reels are Left Hand crank.  Not sure that passes muster, but I really don't know.
Anybody got anything or any website?
Steve   

-------------------------
If I wake up, it's a good day.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I think I hear clickers in my sleep!!

I bought a Diawa left hand crank bait caster this spring and all it did was aggrevate my tendonitis.  Reeling with my left hand was awkward...I expected it would be but I grew up on spin cast reels so it made sense that I could adjust quickly.  I returned it two days later and got the same reel with the right hand crank.  For some reason, I couldn't get my right hand to hold the rod steady and crank smoothly.  I was fighting it really hard when there was a fish on the line. 

Try one for yourself, you may have better luck before you drop some big bucks.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I am right handed,therefore I prefer to manage the rod in my rt hand...so, I use the ambassador 6501 series LH reels and they are readily available,& cannot be beat at any price! I would do a commercial for them for a couple more reels  icon_biggrin   http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/

Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:07:02 PM by RonnieD
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Before they started making spinning reels with interchangeable handles, the crank was on the left.  There were a few models where the crank was on the right but these were few and far between.  I am right handed but I hate cranking the reel with my right hand.
If you look at the Daiwa DF100 giant spinning reel at both Bass Pro and Academy you will see that it is somewhat old school as it does not have an interchangeable handle and the crank is on the left.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

His explanation was it's an American thing developed by engineers who don't spend a lot of time actually fishing and that in Europe most reels are Left Hand crank.  Not sure that passes muster, but I really don't know.

I agree that his explanation probably doesn't pass muster. Abu started making the 5000 around 1952.  They didn't come out with a left hand version until around 1972.  The reels were made in Sweden & I assume that millons have been sold all around the world, so I do not tend to think that it was an "Amercian thing."

Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:00:52 PM by ibtx
Top Bottom  
Lunker

I thought you was supposed to cast with your left arm and reel with your right?  That's how I was taught to do it.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Right there with you Ronnie!!  Love my 6501's....
As for the explanation from the BPS guy...  Makes sense to me.  There are a lot of companies who don't use knowledgable people to design their stuff.   orangeconfused orangeconfused

I am right handed,therefore I prefer to manage the rod in my rt hand...so, I use the ambassador 6501 series LH reels and they are readily available,& cannot be beat at any price! I would do a commercial for them for a couple more reels  icon_biggrin   http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I prefer to wind with my left with spin cast and my right with bait cast. I bought a couple of left handed bait casters and they never felt right to me . I thought it would be better like the OP said so I didn't have to switch hands. I think it may just be whatever you get used to. As for why they are all one way I think the baitcaster where not originally designed to cast so much as to drop or toss a little on bigger reels in salt water. JMHO.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Went by Bass Pro on I30 and got into a discussion on baitcasters with the manager behind the fishing counter.
I asked him why most all baitcasters and most reels for that matter are Right Hand retrieve when for most people they cast with their Right Hand and then have to change the pole over to the Left Hand in order to crank?  His explanation was it's an American thing developed by engineers who don't spend a lot of time actually fishing and that in Europe most reels are Left Hand crank.  Not sure that passes muster, but I really don't know.
Anybody got anything or any website?
Steve   

Everybody knows us "Lefties" are smarter so the American engineers accomodated us! Seriously tho, turning cranks and using scissors are the only things I learned to do right-handed.

A day without fishing is a day lost forever!
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: