Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 05:37:29 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Sunfish on Lavon  (Read 13175 times)

Minnow

I found a good sunfish spot Saturday but they were mostly pumpkin seeds and a greenie. I didn't see a copper nose.  All were caught by the rocks next to a boat ramp. We were using worms under a bobber. Are there a lot of coppernose on Lavon? Maybe that's just what was concentrated where I was. I would like to find big sunfish on Lavon. Next time I'm going to try the same area a little deeper and see what happens me thinks!

Top Bottom  

Group: Fishing Guide
Lunker Extreme

No Coppernose have ever been stocked on Lavon. Im sure there may be some in there but not in any concentration like on Lake Fork. TPWD stocked Fork with Coppernose. They are native to Florida just like the Florida Largemouth. Here is a pic of a Coppernose.

-------------------------

Randy Arrington Lavon Fishing and Trophy Bass Guide
972-345-4286 www.lavonfishing.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Wow, nice!! Yummy to eat, and good bait too.  icon_lol

I love to fish, it's just that simple.

Kes   

Team Double K                  

http://www.texastrophycats.com/
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

No Coppernose have ever been stocked on Lavon. Im sure there may be some in there but not in any concentration like on Lake Fork. TPWD stocked Fork with Coppernose. They are native to Florida just like the Florida Largemouth. Here is a pic of a Coppernose.

That think is HUGE!

Steven Stanley
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Hubbard has a bunch of sunfish with plenty of coppernose in it. Caught a bunch of perch yesterday on rocky shorelines near probably 17 ft depth.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Fork has those in it? Growing up in South Alabama and Northwest Florida we caught ours on a flyrod. What's the plan for these? deep water? Crickets?

Crappie Fun on Lake Lavon!!
Mike Wilson
https://www.facebook.com/wylie.crappieman?ref=tn_tnmn

Cell 214-406-5006
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Wylie, you are right on track. But you can catch them any way you want when they are shallow.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Here is a little info on the Coppernose explaining it is not a common Bluegill but is a subspecies.

Coppernose bluegill has been around for a long time. They are only one of three recognized subspecies of bluegill (lepomis macrochirus). Coppernose  (lepomis macrochirus purpurescens) is native to Peninsular of  Florida. Coppernose bluegill have 12 soft rays on their anal fin as opposed to 11 soft rays found on the regular bluegill. Coppernose have fewer but wider vertical bars on their sides than do regular (common or native ) bluegill. Coppernose also have orange margins to their fins. Male coppernose  has a broad copper band above the eye or forehead and are prominent during spawning season. Reproduction of the Coppernose is about the same as with most all bluegill.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Richland Chambers actually got the bulk of coppernose stockings in Texas way back in 1989 and I know Aquilla got some as well.  I think they suspended the program a few years ago because the coppernose genes are not dominant and the local smaller bream breed back into the coppernose populations and after a few years the average size starts to decline. They are great to stock in ponds where you can control hybridization and most of the State stockings were in small bodies of water like local city parks to enhance fishing for kids.

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: