Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2019, 06:25:01 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
caught a gar with my prop  (Read 2237 times)
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

we were cruising back from the dam to tickey creek today at about 28MPH.  All of a sudden I feel a big drag on the boat and a horrible sound coming from the back end.  My mind was racing.... spun prop?  burned up lower unit??   Then I thought maybe my rope for the tubes slipped out and got tangled in the prop.  I shut 'er down real quick and looked at the back... the rope was still in the boat.. nothing apparent.. no oil slick, no smoke  icon_neutral  wifey said if felt like we hit something.. we are right of the cove at little ridge in deep water so I knew it couldn't have been a tree or anything like that.  I ask her to raise the motor and I see something coming up.

It was a huge gar!!

I don't know how it was stuck in there but it was stuck on something.  After raising the motor all they way up it came loose.  It was all sliced up but still alive.  It had a big cut by its gills and one on its back.  It flopped around on the surface for a while, then tried to go down.  It would surface a little later.  I am sure it is with Jesus by now.   angel

That was the weirdest thing.  How can hitting a fish make that kind of noise and drag.  What was it stuck on?

Fired it back up and cruised back to tickey creek without anymore issues...except people swimming on the courtesy dock.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

wow  icon_eek .... that is purty crazy  icon_rolleyes but by the way all the grasshoppers was out floatin along yesterday up that direction , since the breeze was out of the north i could beleive it . we had several gars swim by us in the water just raisin the snout every once in awhile and grabbin one  icon_eek ..... i'm really surprised  icon_eek that there really wasnt alot of other fish feedin on em

-------------------------
Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

Lunker

2lb7oz, 15.5in

That gar zigged when he should have zagged!

When life gives us lemons, make lemonade. When the Lord gives us fish, fillet them.     Fillet
Don't worry; be happy; go FISHIN!
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Not sure gars go to heaven!!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

by the way all the grasshoppers was out floatin along yesterday up that direction

Yeah I park my boat in a field and my boat was flat out covered with grasshoppers and grasshopper poop.  They had even gotten under the cover and it was on the inside. YUCK!

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

That gar zigged when he should have zagged!

The statement of the day  icon_lol

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

I am sure it is with Jesus by now.   angel

MAN , that made me  icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

So about how big was it?

Don't catchem all
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

So about how big was it?

6ft!  icon_eek icon_cool

Just kidding.. I guess huge was an exaggeration (this is a fishing forum after all)..... he was really about 30 inches or so.  I check the TPWD website and that's a record in stainless prop category.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

that's a record in stainless prop category.

been on here for a while,,,, this has to be the biggest thing Shawn has ever caught icon_eek

BTW. Shawn ,,,You stated "what was it stuck on".......

It was probably stuck on that lower part of you boat called the "LOWER UNIT" icon_lol icon_lol  everything else is kinda smooth down there and fish dont seem to stick to it icon_cool icon_mrgreen

freakin rookie wakeboard fisher Cool In your face

Still laghing over the " I am sure it is with Jesus by now". comment icon_mrgreen icon_mrgreen  

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

sounds like trollin for gar  icon_eek icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Hmmmm.. Somethings fishy!! A gar sticking to a prop seems unlikely unless said gar was attached to someones fishing line and it (the line) got entagled in the prop... Inspect closely.. That is a strange one...

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

yeah it doesn't seem like it would be stuff on the lower unit...especially going 28 MPH.  I can't figure out what he was stuck on.  weird!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

If I might throw out a guess.  Based on this cut I am betting he was just swimming along when BAM, you caught him in the middle.  With it in the middle he might have folded in half around the lower unit, slipping down until he hit the prop area where it bulges.  With your speed and the water pushing him, he couldn't slip over that. Also why it sounded like it did and slowed you so much, it would have affected the water flow to the prop.  The rest of the sound was him screaming "I'm not even supposed to be here today!".  Oh, and at the point you stopped he probably tried to swim off but went in behind the prop and got caught up until you raised it.   Just an idea.

Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:40:11 PM by RickH
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: